Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced the 50 year old felts/whiskers on the drivers side door. This is a 69 coupe.

Rear of the window is snug between the inside/outside felts/whiskers. Front of the window I have about a 3/16 gap between the glass and the exterior felt with the window up. I've putzed with the glass run (the vertical tube that the c-channel bracket fits around) but since it adjusts at the bottom and the pivot point is at the top of the door it does little to affect the issue.

I don't see an adjustment to resolve this.

The passenger side window regulator was replaced 30 years ago, it's fine. Felts/whiskers glass are all good. The driver side is original.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the top of the front glass run, sometimes the weld at the top breaks off at the top of the tube.

Thanks, I did check that. This is really bugging me.

I have a couple other things I've been putting off ordering from WCCC. I may just add a good used glass run to the list even though this one looks fine. I just don't see what else it could be.

I did see in an older thread that there may be a little difference in the 69 and 70 regulators. In that thread it sounded like some may have had fit issues when mixing glue in 69 brackets with a 70 regulator. I'm going to go through old receipts maybe I'm remembering wrong and it was the drivers side regulator that was replaced. Wonder if the pn on the regulator is visible without removing it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still messing with this. Beginning to suspect it's been this way since new.

Found a few threads talking about either trying to bend the bracket at the top of glass run and/or bending the section of the door frame that the glass run bolts to. Given the shape of the bracket it does not appear to lend itself to being bent. Not real excited about trying to bend the door frame either.

One thing I found was that the door skin may not have been welded (or the weld has broken) where the skin attaches to the frame in the jam, at the top of the door. I can squeeze the frame and the door skin together and at least partially close the gap I have between the felt and glass. Wonder how well the rest of the skin was aligned when attached to the frame. I'm not taking the door off to try and fix it. Time to put it back together, close it up and add that to the list of things to do "someday".

While I said in the OP that the regulator etc in that door were all original, it appears it's been apart before. The threads in the c brackets are all buggered up. Think I'll run a chase through em and see if I can make them better. If not I guess it's time for a heli-coil or three.

Sometimes old car projects are fun. I hate windows.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ordered heli-coil parts through amazon. Received the attached. Not sure it will work for the intended purpose. Certainly not my size. Unless they are going to send something appropriate to wear it (which I'm not opposed to), I don't think I have a use. Maybe a dust rag.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Reproduction outside window felts for 69-70 that are on the market today are not as thick as originals and not as thick as the reproductions made a few years ago. I have some old reproduction felts and compared them to new reproduction felts and old original felts, there is 1/8 to 3/16 inches difference. This leaves a gap between the glass and outside felt on some cars. You have to bend the area where the window run attaches to the door on top so you can move the window out. You may have to put a washer or two between the glass and the bracket that is attached to glass (and runs on the window run) to adjust the tilt of the glass so it seals to the weatherstrip on the roof drip rail when the window is up and the door is closed. I spent a lot of time recently on my 69 coupe for this issue, managed to get the window to fit decent to the felt; good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts