Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just began the process of removing the window molding on my '66 coupe. This is going to be a real test of patience in working on this project as the rubber and caulking surrounding the window are bone dry and the clips are incredible stiff. I successfully removed the driver side vertical piece which is held on by three clips, but it took up to an hour to do this small section. I used a tool purchased from CJ Pony that has a solid red handle and has the shape of a 'Y' with a hook on each end of the 'Y'. It took an hour of carefully scraping out old caulking to give some relief around the clips and even then the clips were difficult to grab on to.

I welcome any suggestions on how to use the tool more effectively and any tips of the trade in safely massaging the molding away from the clips.

Thanks
Ace.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Front or rear for starters? I removed my rears but the only difficult part was the lower strip. I used two plastic trim removal tools from a kit on Amazon, utilizing their multi shaped plastic points. The metal ones with the fork are too harsh and will bend the metal in real force is required. Used one to get under, another to depress the clip while angling up. Usually they'll slide out of the good with the trim piece. The front is probably a lot more tedious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts