Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear glass in my '66 Coupe (Vinyl Roof) still leaks after a "professional" reseal. They used silicone.........I've got my 3M Bedding and glazing compound and I bought the proper window trim removal tool with the arrow on the end. What is the correct procedure for getting the tool under the trim and releasing the clips?
A Secondary problem is the removal of the silicone seams between the molding and the vinyl. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The tool is pretty simple. Sometimes it's hard because of all the sealer and goop put on by the factory or a PO. What you do is slip the hooked end under the moulding and slide it down until the hook "hooks" the clip underneath. Then pull the tool lightly toward the glass and lift up the molding at the same time. A bit tricky first time out but you'll get the hang of it.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
MCA member #46447

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get a plastic "glass" stick. They are about 8 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 inch thick. Use that to pry gently up on the molding. Go slow and easy. Get the sides of the "arrow" parallel to the body and work it between the clip and the molding, move the clip away from the molding while prying up, or twisting, with the stick. Start with the top moldings where they fit over the side moldings. Release a couple of the clips and you should be able to slide the moldings, away from the center of the car, over the remaining clips. Get a new gasket unless your time is worth 25 cents per hour. Just reinstalled my front glass after a professional install with silicone.

66 2+2 289/271 63B since may 1972. At that time just a used car for only $900.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts