Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really cared for window tint myself; but it's starting to sound pretty good - especially with that large fastback window letting in all that heat! And I've seen a smoke-gray color that isn't all that unattractive...

Question is: can we install it ourselves, or is it a job best left to the pros? If it's a do-it-yourselfer, where is a good place to find it and how much can I expect to pay? Is one brand better than the others?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
916 Posts
As far as I know its allways been better to leave it to the pros. Most of the do-it-urselfers end up bubbling like crazy. Not sure on cost, shouldnt be too much, at a local shop by me its about $100

·
Registered
645 Posts
I did my windows on my car.. partially because of the cost issue, and because I never like others working on my car unless they absolutely have to /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I picked up the film at Pep Boys.. cant remember the cost. I have louvers on my back window, so I didn't use film on it. I just did the sides. It was pretty much a pain in the arse. It actually turned out pretty decent, but I would not do it again as it's too time consuming and the pro's have better film and tools for the job. If you're already not a tint fan, you'll probably hate it by the time your car was done if you did it yourself.

My vote is to shop around and go with a pro. good luck

G

·
0 Posts
LEAVE IT TO THE PROS...IT'S CHEAP (~$100), AND THEY WILL DO A MUCH BETTER JOB IF YOU'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. I GOT THE WINDOWS ON MY CAR TINTED, AND IT WAS DEFINITELY WORTH IT.

--LIGHTNIN

G

·
0 Posts
Over the course of a couple years or so, does the tint get messed up/ Bubbles, scratches, tears, peeling??? Possibly it's better to spend the bucks for factory tinted glass??? But I guess that doesn't actually tint much.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
If the window has no curves, you can do it yourself. I recommend 3M brand film only......I have only had bad luck with any other brand!!!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have done every car I have every owned myself. I buy the good tint. I have never had bubbles or any problems even over long periods of time. I can't imagine what some people do to get such huge bubbles in it. Preping the window is the main thing just an in a good paint job.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts