Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 FB. Replaced headliner and it came out great. The rubber on the windshield was original. I replaced the trim clips . I had no issues getting the window in but the gap on the driver’s side seemed a little wider than the passenger side. I figured 3M 8509 could fill it fine. I may have been wrong. To issues.

1. under the dash looking up, I can see the screw that holds the bottom right clip. Water appears to be coming in through a seam of some sort there. I don’t recall there being a seam there and don’t see one on photos online.

furthermore, the top right clip was either not tightened or stripped. The clip moves and doesn’t hold the trim snugly. This could be a source of the water but I’ve put so much sealant I can’t imagine it.

im just frustrated.

1. should I keep futzing with more sealant or start all over and get that clip seated properly?

2.If the screw hole is stripped do I just put a larger screw in

3. any thought on that seam on the bottom?

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Gotta really cram it in there !

Reactions: Gimmea250swb

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
The stuff is messier than the sprinkler system in an Alka-Seltzer factory.
I wear gloves while doing this, sometimes have to change them during, and it invariably ends up on your arms, your clothes, and the body of the car. Don't worry, a little WD-40 gets it right off the glass and body. The clothes you may as well throw away or at least just leave them outside and wear them when you're doing something very messy.
It takes at least one full tube, if not a tube and half to do a windshield and another of the same to do the back. It needs to have enough between the inside perimeter of the gasket and the glass to prevent any water intrusion that way and it needs to be crammed full between the gasket and the glass frame of the car, including very liberally around each clip.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
If you have to ask whether you should put in more seam sealer, the answer is yes. You force it in until it is impossible get any more in, then press it down with a bone tool and put some more in. You should put it on the glass side of the slot first, then press the seal tight against the glass and do the slot, especially at the clips. Install the moulding immediately, the longer you wait the stiffer it gets.

About the clips- If it's screwed on, most likely it's been replaced, 66 was supposed to have welded-on studs. So yes, use a fatter screw.

·
Registered
214 Posts
There was a video on that but I can’t find it. Squeeze it under the rubber seal and press it down. The excess comes out nd you clean it up with a razor blade.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the 8509 has sat for 2 days now. I’ll try to stuff it in and water test. If I’m unsuccessful I suppose I’ll pull the windshield and start over- agree?

oh, I meant to say this is a 65 with screw in clips. My other car is a 66.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Just closing this out. I pressed in what I applied before in there and added more. I smoothed it out after. No leaks!!
Well done!! Now get out there and enjoy it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts