Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one help me with the steps necessary to put the windshield and backlite back in on 65 fastback. I am reusing the original glass and have bought new rubber gaskets from mustang vendor. Do you put gasket on glass first? What do you do with the 1/4" cord I read about? When do the molding clips go on, before or after glass goes in? Can this be done by one person or will I need help? Should I get the 3m sealant that looks like it is in toothpast type tube or get the kind that goes in a caulk gun? Thanks in advance

G

·
0 Posts
I belive that you put the gasket on the car first and put that cord in the gasket. Next you put in the windsheild and then start to pull out the cord. this will pull the gasket so that the windsheild will slide in place. I am not sure about which selant to use or when the clips go on.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Install the window trim clips on the car first. This is a must.

Put the gasket on the glass next. The cord wraps around inside the gasket channel that will lap over the body opening lip. Be sure you have both ends of the cord exposed so you can pull the cord to remove it which causes the lip of the gasket to roll over the lip of the body opening.

Yes one person can do it, but it is way easier to have two, especially when initially positioning the glass on the car.

A good glass sealent is needed and the caulk gun type is the easiest to apply. Try to find a sealent that stays relatively soft such as what Ford originally used. The newer stuff which hardens when exposed to air makes trim installation an absolute bear.

Consider having a professional do the installation for you. One of those outfits that will replace car windows at your house should do it for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I guess the '65 -'66 is different than my '70....When I put my back glass in, I put clips on first, then put the caulk on the body lip. Then I put gasket on the body.Then I inserted the cord into the channel where the glass goes. Leaving both ends of the cord hang out. Then put the glass in. Installed the glass into the bottom of the gasket, and then started pulling the cord out. As the cord comes out, it brings the top of the gasket up over the glass. Just keep going, SLOWLY. I worked from both ends of the cord, a little bit at a time, and it went right in. (you will find it easier with someone else inside to support the glass as you work the cord out)
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
All molding clips should be in place first with a dot of adhesive going in the body hole ahead of the screw and clip. This seals the hole and prevents water ingress.
The body lip should be primed next with adhesive. Put the thinnest possible layer on the body lip and allow it to dry before starting to seat gasket. Make sure this first layer sticks well to the body. If it doesn't you'll get opportunity to fix it before the gasket is installed. In this manner you will get a much better seal between the gasket and the body. The others have answered what you do to install the gasket and rope the glass in.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
That's actually a very good idea. I've always installed the gasket on the glass first, then install the windshield/gasket assembly into the car (I've done 2 '66's, a '65, and a '69 this way). The problem is always pulling the gasket over the headliner without messing up the headliner. Your way would make that much, much easier.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do a search on yahoo or google. I found directions on how to do it but I can't tell you where it is now. I printed it out for later use and filed it away in the Mustang folder.
Brent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts