Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
65. I “easily” removed the top and side trim. I could raise the trim just a bit to see where the clips are and go from there.

On the bottom I can’t feel or find the clips. I can pull up the two ends and access the bottom of the trim and see where the next clip should be and see nothing. I don’t think the windshield has ever been replace

this being said. I haven’t spent the requisite hour trying before getting frustrated so maybe I should keep trying...

Ideas??

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Have you removed the cowl grill? Open the hood. There are screws holding it in against the firewall. Remove the screws and slide it forward. You'll see the clips and you can unscrew them from the cowl just below the windshield.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My suggestion was based on my 69, but it has to come off to get to the wiper motor. A couple of photos attached of mine before I tore the cowl out and replaced it. You can see the little squares with the holes in the middle where the clips were fastened. Yours might not be exactly the same, but that grill has to come out somehow. In the second photo, you can also see the holes from the screws that hold the grill in place... about an inch back from the front of the cowl. It's where you washer lines run if you have them. IMG_20150907_223506125_HDR.jpg IMG_20150907_223526354_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
65 and 69 cowls and wiper motor mounting have nuttin in common.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
There is a cheap trim tool available at Harbor Fright and other cheapie tool stores as well as good ones, or I have seen some old codgers use the round end of a bottle opener to pop the trim loose. Try not to dent it. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Maybe some have broken off and the trim is essentially glued on by the gradual hardening of the glazing compound and rubber gasket. I think there are a total of 43 clips on a 65 - 66 car. Some of the clips are screw on with her earlier cars , and some of them are push on that mount on a stud. There's probably an image online or here on vmf but I'll be glad to take a picture of the ones that are exposed on one of my two cars here so you can see where they should be.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Although the 69 is different, I have a 67, which I believe is the same.

All I can say is be patient and take your time. It took me the better part of 2 hours to get my lowers off...mainly because I had to step away before frustration set in.

The amount of sealant (glazing compound I assume) was amazing and hard. I ended up spraying carb cleaner in there to loosen it up, which it did and turned into a soupy mess. That was fine with me since I am stripping the whole car down to metal.

Once I found the clips and got the hang of it, it was off in 10 minutes. Again, patience in finding the clip and levering the tool while twisting it (the tool not the molding) was the key for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel like the clips are gone. I hear the tool running against the aluminum past where I think where the clips should be.

if I’m pulling the windshield, can I pull it with the lower still attached?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the rear bottoms/side off the back And top right (fastback). Two more pieces to go. Not an easy task.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Good job ! Never give up !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts