Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 vert and am ready to install the windshield. My windshield moldings arent perfect and since I dont find anyone reproducing these I am going to have to do buffing and ding removal. My question is whether I should install the windshield and all the clips now and deal with the molding at a later date or should I wait and do the windshield when the molding is ready?

·
Registered
402 Posts
You may get a lot of opinions on this, but every windshield I have done with a buddy of mine who worked at a well know mustang shop and now has his own shop, the lower molding should go on before the windshield is installed.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Hmmm. Never heard of that, but he has probably done more installations than I have.
It wold be ok to install the windsheild now as then it is not laying around waiting to get damaged.
I say that because, then you will not be rushed during the dent fixing and moulding polishing phase.

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
The issue with waiting is the sealer will get hard making it difficult to install and possibly disturbing the water seal. I have always heard to install the molding right after you pump sealer around the window.

·
Registered
35,836 Posts
Bad idea. Makes the lower lap a nightmare. I've installed countless windshield moudings, never had a problem. Use tape to protect the paint, and a nylon bone tool to protect the moulding. It slides horizontally under the clips. I use a plastic mallet for pesuasion when necessary.

Make sure the slot all the way around is totally filled with fresh bedding compound immediately before you install the mouldings.

·
Registered
875 Posts
the lower molding should go on before the windshield is installed.
That is interesting. Never seen it done this way before either. I’m not sure how you would be able to get enough sealer in with the lower molding installed before the glass.

I put sealer in the pinch weld side of the rubber seal channel ahead of installing the glass, but it always seems like I need to add more sealer between the pinch weld and the rubber after the glass is seated.

I need the option of injecting more sealer into the pinch weld area after the glass is installed. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. As Roddster said, he’s probably done more than I have as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts