Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short...I had my top redone. Now I have what seems to be flakes of fiberglass resin bonded to the glass. The shop says they are too busy to
look at it. Windex does not help. Any ideas on this ? I know glass can be scratched so I want to be careful.
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Forget Windex, It won't get out crap.. Try the best Glass cleaner ever sold for the last 60 years... "SPRAYWAY" Glass Cleaner. It's the best Glass Cleaner that you'll ever use...ever! You can buy it at Wal-Mart now.. for like $3 bucks.. Make sure that it's the "Original"..No crazy scent smells...

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=sprayway glass cleaner&typeahead=sprayway

And if that doesn't work...Try these below:

You'll laugh, but try rubbing it out with toothpaste. (The White kind) Its one of the most mildest abrasives made and great for glass. If that fails, Try #7 brand White Polishing compound.

Those are my suggestions.

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
If it's fiberglass, get a pair of thick rubber chemical-resistant gloves and a small can of acetone. Wet the spots with the acetone and paper towels.
Be very careful with acetone. It'll ruin paint before you can do anything about it.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Dude, I wouldn't put Acetone ten miles near my car... Anything Paint or Plastic is history..

Tony K.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hoe would I apply it? Use a cloth or a Scotchbrite pad ?
Joe

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hoe would I apply it? Use a cloth or a Scotchbrite pad ?
Joe
Paper towel or cloth... and not dripping wet. As was mentioned, it's strong stuff, so just damp enough to wet the fiberglass spots.
I live and work in a waterfront community and acetone is a popular item around here with all the boats... so we're all aware of its volatile character, and how (and how not) to use it.

Don't put the open can on your hood :surprise:

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Whoa!.. Dude, Before you go to something as strong as ACETONE which will eat through just about anything.... Try a bottle of RONSON's Lighter Fluid (Yellow Plastic Bottle also sold at Walmart near the Cigarette Sales checkout)...and pour some on a damp cloth. It won't eat through your paint...or any Plastic...if you're really that desperate..

Tony K.

·
Premium Member
7,400 Posts
If this is a case of something sticking to "glass", my first attempt would be with nylon razor blades, followed by bronze steel wool with a gentle cleaner.

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
Yeah, I agree, If all else fails...Try a razorblade also...but that's also extreme and can also scratch the glass if you hold it on the wrong angle. I sure would not use a Scotchbrite pad if you like your glass to be clear....That would be a BIG mistake.

Try the milder methods that I mentioned above first before you go drastic...

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
definetely no scotchbrite-
I use window cleaner (any brand) and a brand new razor blade- make straight passes no side movement (same as shaving your face- {or legs for the females here} ) the window cleaner allows the blade to be lubricated and slide nice and easy.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,629 Posts
"Goof Off" or automotive adhesive/decal remover

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
FINALLY FIXED !! A few days ago, I stopped at the local Safelite shop to see what they could for me. I tell my tale of woe to the guy at the
counter, in about a minute two employees are at my car checking out the windshield. One of them goes back into the shop, comes back
with a razor blade and a can of what looks to me like shave cream. Covered the w/s with the cream, scraped the stuff off, then wipes it with
their "special" paper towels....now all CLEAR ! Tried to pay him some $, but he says no thank you and returns to the shop. WOW...... even with all your fine suggestions I was too "chicken" to try anything on my own.
JOE

Reactions: myfirstcar66
1 - 14 of 14 Posts