Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a windshield for my 66 coupe from a national chain several years ago and had them install it due to their 'lifetime warranty'. They made me supply the new gasket. The car sat for a few years while I rebuilt the suspension, motor and tranny and now I've discovered the windshield leaks badly. They made one lame attempt to seal and when I brought it back the second time, they wouldn't even look at it and said they would refund my money. I don't want the money. I want a windshield that doesn't leak! The vendor is Safelite. Now for the help. I saw in searches that someone has a procedure for sealing thin windshields. If anybody has it, please pm or email me. Thanks

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I went through this also in Febuary. It seems that they just will give you back your money and not deal with issues. I am in the process of install all new seals and glass my self. So far it has been a 50-50 sucess rate with leaks.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
IMHO, the key to a leak free seal is to use butyl caulk between the seal and the glass (lay a bead in the seal before putting the seal on the glass), then lay a THICK bead of butyl caulk in the window channel before using the "string trick" to install the glass. Afterwards, then fill the gap between the seal and the body with more butyl caulk. It's a messy, time consumming job, to say the least.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,753 Posts
I did both the windshield and the backlite on my 65 a couple months ago using a Safelite windshield, new repro gaskets form NPD ad 3M Bedding and Glazing compound. I followed the technique johnpro describes but skipped the sealant on the pinch weld prior to glass and gasket install with the string (I did not want to deal with the mess that would create). Neither one has leaked yet.

To re-state that, I put the sealant in the channel of the gasket that the glass goes in, let it set-up for a couple days, set the unit (glass and gasket) using the string method, and packed the space around the outside of the gasket and the glass opening with a nice bead of sealant.

You will most likely have to pull the glass and re-install it to assure you get yours to stop leaking, unless you can pin point the leak.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Ok, so now I need to know

Whats the "String Method"?

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Hey, now I know how to get a "free" windshield! Just buy one from this vendor and go back alittle later with a "leak". Then get money back because they don't want to deal with it and put it back in myself with $6.00 worth of the right stuff (called bedding and glazing compound) and badabing! Free windshield...lol. It's really not that hard, my son and I put mine in after doing the headliner and it is still okay after a year. Just need 2 people to do it right and be careful when you "slap" it into place and don't break it by hitting too hard as someone on here did once... good luck! ::

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
The string method is where you loop a thin rope or string in the channel of the seal and tuck the seal and string thru the ws opening and when you pull the string on the inside, the seal pops into place. They use to do this with the old vw bug ws's. Works best if you have someone on the inside to pull and someone on the outside to push in to help seat the ws and seal in the opening. If you do a search you will find more than you ever wanted to know about ws installation...whew. :p

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just resealed both the windshild and backlight after I had my car painted (all the trim was off). It helped alot. I was able to do both with one tube of the 3M beading and glazing compound. Be careful, go slow and have a lot of rags around and it won't get too messy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts