Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im trying to figure out if the washer pump, which is the only remain of my factory installed windshield washer system, is still working (properly).

It makes a sound when it gets hooked up to a battery directly.
Im not sure what the pump has to "sound" like.

Connecting it with the battery directly, it makes this sound (pump motion?) once, but thats it.
So in order to get it pumping several times/more than once, I would have to activate the washer
button several times? Or is my pump crooked?

What sound does a properly working pump make?

I know that this is kind of a silly question, but I hope someone can help me out! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
Id really like to install a washer system again, but would love to keep my old pump instead of getting a repro one.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
759 Posts
It should work constantly when it is connected to a battery. If it just starts then stops then it is junk. But if it runs constantly while connected to the battery it should be working. Connect a hose to it with the other end of the hose in a bucket. See if it spits out water.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks for the advice.
Since it dosent work constantly, Im expecting the worst.
But Ill do the test.

Two more questions on that, though.

1) If got that right, the outgoing hose (to the nozzles), is the one on top, right?
2) Is there any chance/way to fix the pump if its broken? Parts?

Honestly I think I would be able to afford a $30 pump, but if theres any way Id like to keep the original one.
The car is enough of a restomod alredy, so that Id like to keep as many of the remaining original parts...!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am not sure which is the correct nozzel on the 66 pump. On my 65 pump they are marked /forums/images/icons/smile.gif As for parts I doubt that. I never opened one up before and I have never seen parts before to replace the internals. You might get lucky at a junk yard. I got a spare 65 pump for $8.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts