Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I've got a 65 coupe. It's standard with the 200 straight six 3 speed. I've had the car for almost 4 years, and all that time, i've been restoring it. I love mustangs, and this one has been my first one to restore, and I learned A Lot. heh. A lot of guys, if they saw my car in the shape that it was in when i got it, would have just junked the car. Cause there really isn't anything remarkable about the car. It's not a K-code, it's not a Gt, it doesnt' have pony interior. It's just a plain Jane, with no options, except for the back-up lights. But to tell you the truth, I just wanted to take a piece of crap (because they all have potential) and turn it into a beauty, as i believe all Mustangs deserve. Well, anyway, with that introduction, I'll get to the point. I noticed something on my car, that i havn't seen on any mustang through all the many car shows i've been through or through all the things I've read. I have four pedals- the gas, brake, clutch, and there is a fourth pedal behind the clutch. I figured out that it's for the windsheild washer fluid pump. It's a manual pump. You have to pump the pedal to get the fluid onto the windsheild. Now, I was looking in a Parts catalog, and I noticed that they sold a rubber pad for a windsheild washer pedal, but... just for a 67 stang. I have yet to find anywhere in any catalog where it mentions a 65 with one. Now, I'm guessing most mustangs have electical pumps for the washer fluid, right? Basically, i'm just trying to find someone out there, who has a mustang with the same unique feature. And, also, if anyone knows if they sell pads for the pedal (for 65), cause mine is just bare medal(maybe that's the way its supposed to be)I don't know, cause i've never read anything about it. So, there you go, If you have any idea what i'm talking about, please reply, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Howdy, and welcome to the VMF! You'll get tons of useful information here; but we may be able to help you out a bit more if you go back and fill in your bio.

Concerning your question...you're right - I've never heard of the foot pedal washer pump except on the 67/68s. My first guess would be that someone just added it to your car in the past. Can you tell if it's a clean installation? Sometimes previous owners aren't as careful as Ford was, and there is evidence of shortcuts, etc. But as far as I know, all '65 washers used the electric pump.

Keep checking back and someone that knows a lot more than me may chime in.

And as far as your car being a plain-jane...nonsense! The fact that it's not loaded with options probably guarantees that you'll continue to drive it. And I say that's a good thing!

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 64 Fairlane Sports Coupe also has the foot pump for the washer. Maybe yours was a hold over or something. Is it a very early 65? Just a hunch.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
in response to Digger, the car was built on January 9th, 1965 at the San Jose plant. It's a 'mid' 65. Thanks to everyone who has replied, you've given me possible answers that i'm looking into. Thanks a lot!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, i checked out a 68 mustang that was for sale, and i looked at the Washer Pump pedal. Mine definetley does not look like one from a 68. And I checked if mine had any faults in the installation- it didn't. it looked factory done. I'm really leaning towards the idea that it may just be a 'cross-over' from maybe a falcon or fairlane. I still don't know. I would love to find someone who has the same feature on their 65 or 64 1/2.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts