Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The windshield washer fluid on my 65 FB is not coming out of the nozzles. When I turn the wipers on and turn the nob I hear the pump operating but nothing comes out of the nozzles. There is plenty of fluild in the bag and the hoses are connected correctly. The car sat in a garage for 7-8 years so I'm thinking that the pump might be shot and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions on where to start looking for the problem?

·
Registered
576 Posts
disconnect the hoses under the hood right before they enter the firewall and come out of the cowl. Turn the nob again and see if fluid comes out the hoses. It's posible that those tubes thru the cowl are clogged up in which case, you could stick a nail down into it to free up the goop. good luck

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remove the tubing on both ends of the pump. Put a new piece of tubing on the intake side and stick it into a jug of ww fluid. You can put the jug under the car to do this. Operate the pump. If fluid comes out of the pump, the pump should be good and the problem is probably in the hoses that run to the cowl. You can disconnect these at the platic tee fittings and test them to the tees. If fluid comes out, the nozzles are probably bad. Best bet is to replace eveything, it's all available and relatively inexpensive.

·
Administrator
19,452 Posts
If the pumps running, likely it's trying to work. If washer fluid sits a long time it tends to leave a crusty blue residue. Probably something is just stopped up. The actual nozzles are first suspects because the openings are so small. Don't be surprised if it takes several cleanings before it squirts reliably. You can unclog the nozzles with a needle but new ones are pretty cheap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts