Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently purchased a 2 speed windshield wiper motor from CJ Pony Parts but cannot seem to get how this motor gets wired. I do not have the original 71-73 Wiring harness (I do have the wiring schematics) and I am trying to figure out what each of the wires do off the motor. There is a blue,red,white and black wire. Can anyone explain what these do? I can get the motor running when I connect power and ground to the white and black wires, but not the other two. It appears to only be a 1 speed lol

I guess my question is how can I test the functionality of the motor? Which wires should I apply 12v+ to get the motor running?

Attachments

·
Registered
36,223 Posts
The switch is part of the operating circuit.

How much of the under-dash wiring is missing? Why not just replace the harness? Then you just plug everything in and go to Dairy Queen.

·
Registered
37,168 Posts
The switch is part of the operating circuit.

How much of the under-dash wiring is missing? Why not just replace the harness? Then you just plug everything in and go to Dairy Queen.
^^^

It's a little more complicated circuit than simply a hot and a ground. IIRC, there is the park switch, which has ignition hot power all the time and is normally closed but opens each time the wipers sweep into the parked position, which is overridden by the wiper switch which provides power to the motor and then grounds the high and low speed windings, and this is overridden by the wiper coordination switch (foot pedal) and then you have the grounds for everything.

I've always thought that wiring the wiper circuit is like trying to arrange spaghetti on your plate.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone explain a little bit more about how this circuit works ? What do each of the wires on the motor go to? Which wires on the back of the windshield wiper switch actually gets connected to the wiper motor? & How does the wiper motor know when to stay in the "parked" position ? (As in not to just stop when I deactivate the switch)

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have a 69 which doesn't have the windshield wiper coordinator switch as your does, however I see there are 4 wires going to the motor, so I suspect the principle is the same. The Ford engineers used a technique known as dynamic braking to stop the motor exactly where they wanted it- its pretty slick. Read my explanation on page 4 of my schematic: https://i.imgur.com/s9fUTU6.png

·
Registered
37,168 Posts
This might help... the relationship between the circuit numbers and the color coding of the wires...

circuit color code
28 = black (I think)
56 = blue
58 & 58a = white
63 & 63a = red
297,297a,297b & 297c = blk/grn
615 & 615a = black
763 = orange

·
Registered
36,223 Posts
I installed a Painless wire harness which only provides me with constant power. I have retained the old switch.
I have always thought the "Painless" wiring was dramatically mis-named. When people ask me, I tell them to get the original fixed by Midlife, or get a new Alloy Metal harness.

You are going to have to re-create the OEM wiper harness wiring wire-by-wire. Painless providing you with a single hot wire is a bad joke, at your expense.

And I have done some wiring. Right now I'm wiring a kit car. It was provided with a harness, but intended to be all hard-wired. I'm adding multi-plugs to make actual future maintenance possible. Even so, I've had to trace any number of "black 114 wires" to confirm functions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honesly, it was a real pleasure working with the Painless wiring harness. I thought the build quality and tech support was really really good. This wiper circuit is probably the only thing that I've had difficulty wrapping my head around. Other than that it's been pretty straightforward and everything works.

With that being said, it seems as though I will need to replicate the original circuit to get things to work lol.

If anyone knows more about how this witchcraft circuit operates, that would be great!

·
Registered
967 Posts
I went to 7173mustangs.com and looked at the wire diagrams for all three years 71-73
www.7173mustangs.com/misc.php?page=diagrams, and found that all three years are the same. They have a system that matches the 69, which is shown in my post above, and as an option they have intermittent wipers. The diagram you show in the first post does not match any of the wire diagrams, or my schematic.

·
Registered
967 Posts
To get the motor running connect the case to ground (-). Connect one of these two wires to positive (+): blue is HIGH and the white wire is LOW. However, you will not be able to stop (park) it in the correct position by connecting this way. To park it in the correct position you need the rest of the circuit connected. This assumes you have a 4 wire motor with colors red, white, blue, and black.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts