Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all.

OK - those of you who were at the Corn Feed, or read about it later - might remember that I was the winner of the "Soggy Bottom" award - one that was apparently created to make fun of the fact that my car is about as water tight as a spaghetti strainer. :yoho:

So - I am going to try to do something about it.

This is a 64.5 Convertible that was restored from 2001-2004.

I did not do it myself, but the original windshield, and the rubber gasket around it, were replaced in 2001 or so.

It looks like there is a healthy layer of black glazing compound in the "rope seal" gasket around the glass when I peek into the rubber gasket around the glass.

The top was also replaced in 2004, with all new seals.

I DO NOT think the water that is coming into the car is coming around the glass gasket. I also do not think it is coming in between the top and the upper chrome windshield trim.

When I drive in rain (something I try not to do at all but sometimes you get stuck...) water starts to drip down from the chrome trim above the sun visors and mirror. It also drips down HEAVILY on either side of the dash - next to the kick panels. It is not coming in from the area where the top meets the chrome. The top of the chrome is not wet. The inside of the leading edge of the top is not wet. It is pooling inside the stainless / chrome trim that the mirror is mounted to, and then pouring down onto the console, and the lap of whoever is sitting in the car.

When I looked close at a couple of other cars at the Corn Feed, some with original windshields, it was obvious that the chrome trim on the outside of the windshield, all around the windshield, is installed with that black glazing compound.

My car has the chrome trim all around the windshield too - but none of it is glazed at all.

I think the water is coming up under the upper chrome trim, (between the gasket and the chrome) and possibly the side chrome trim, and working its way around the top of the steel windshield frame INSIDE the chrome, and then into the car where it drains out of the inside upper chrome trim. It is also either coming in around the vent windows, or just draining down the A pillar from up above to get to the kick panel area.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

Can anyone tell me how that outside chrome trim is supposed to be installed? Glazing?

Any 65 Mustang windshield experts lurking around?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

-Zim

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I'm a member of the soggy bottom club as well. My leaks are in different areas.

I did have leaks in the lower corners of the windshield. Last time I had the trim off, I peeled back the rubber gasket from the bottom corner all the way up and across the front of the windshield about 10" put some glaze in there best I could. So far it's worked.

I also get leaks from the top center, but I think the water is coming over the top. I beleive if I pull my top down tighter, it would seal it. I just slow down in hard rain and it almost stops. I've thought about using painters tape and putting a strip across the front on either the windshield or the chrome trim. Tacky I know, but when your caught and don't have another choice on a long trip, it might be better than nothing.

I too am curious if the trim is sealed. It makes sense that it needs to be sealed.
Dave

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump.

Anyone else have any thoughts on glazing the chrome trim?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts