Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been all winter building this 347, installed it last w/e, and now attaching all the bits, hoping to fire it up in a day or two......and then I discover that there's a huge (.610" dia.) water plug where my alternator pivot bolt should go.....see image.
Nowhere on the World Heads data sheet does it say anything about these heads having a "left" and a "right". Anyone run into this before?

I don't see any other option but to tear the whole top end off and swap the heads left to right...........being just a few hours from first start, I can't begin to tell you what a bummer this is.

That plug goes into the water jacket.........this can't suck enough.

Anyone see a workaround?

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
That shouldn't have water through it. It looks to me like it's the plug for the smog. My twisted wedge heads have it, as do all factory later model small block heads.

You just need the insert that has threads inside it to run your bolt into. Hang on a minute, I'll post a pic of what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Never seen valve covers done up like that. What I see looks nice. More pics please! I still have 2 feet of snow to melt and the ground to dry up before I can get mine out so I have to live vicariously through everyone on here :(

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I'm running the windsor jr heads and ran into the same situation. You need the reducing bushing that goes in that hole that reuduces it for your alt. bolt. Don't knw why they're built that way but no water passes through there. You can crank and run the engine without it if you don't want your alternator in place. You get those at Ford or some Mustang supplier.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
351Coupe, I like the sound of that insert.....where might I get one.
Not gonna find that thread count (10 threads/in) in the plumbing dept. at Home Cheapo, I'm thinkin'.

I thought it was into the water jacket because the end of the plug is a bit rusty.

'66Notch, I hand painted the valve covers, with red engine paint and a small brush.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys just MADE my night!
I had visons of spending my Sunday tearing apart my brand new motor.
Whew!

Thaks SO MUCH!!!

Tom

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can probably find them at a local machine shop. Or see if you can get them out of a set of junk heads someone has laying around, though they are hard to get out if they've been in there a while.

I don't know if you have any "Smiley's" around you, but there is one here local that keeps them. Any performance or machine shop should have them.

·
Registered
520 Posts
would have sucked to do that and find out the other head was the exact same...That could have been a giant facepalm moment.

Jafo

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,620 Posts
I get mine from the local Ford dealer, part #F4ZZ-6E086-A. Two to a bag for about $8 IIRC.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Put some anti-seize on the threads. That way it'll be easy to remove in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts