Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking my drivers side wing window apart so i could clean it and greese it, etc.. and the glass fell out of its frame. since the frame is only on 2 of the 3 sides of the glass, i dont know how the glass is supposed to be held in. it doesn't stay there if i just push it into the frame.

anyone know how its supposed to be secured? is it glued in? i did the same thing to the passengers side window and it did not fall out. any insight would be apreciated.
TIA!

- Jason

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I believe it was originally pressed in the frame with perhaps a bit of adhesive. Importantly, the rubber channel was new back then and did most of the 'holding'. After 30+ years it has probably shrunk consdierably. You might try cleaning out the rubber channel of any loose stuff, lay in a bead of clear windshield sealer then reinstall the glass.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,736 Posts
IIRC the the glass is held in by "packing material". The same stuff that holds the top chrome trim onto your door glasses. This material can be obtained at most auto glass shops. If you buy some, you'll have to use a mallet to beat the trim back on. If you're not comfortable with this and your packing looks OK, you can use a bead of clear or black silicone to glue the glass back in.
It's normal for the packing to shrink with age. Many a 70's-80's Chevy truck owner has been surprised by a vent glass suddenly flying out on the freeway or dropping out when the door is slammed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts