Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, today I had the car idling for AN HOUR in 6pm sun at 92 degrees and it didn't overheat. I got it up to 208, turned on my pusher fan and it stayed there. The hood was even down the last 30 minutes.

Why did I have it idling for an hour?

First I recharged the A/C and to my dismay found cold lines and condensation drip but at best slightly cool air inside.

Then I realized I had gone half an hour running and decided for another 30 minutes with the hood down. My last change last year was switching to Mobil1 oil since its in everything else I'm driving.

Guess its time to see where a mouse or bird built a nest in my air ducts!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,589 Posts
Good! All of our cars should be able to idle for extended periods of time without overheating.

I remember once in the first year of me owning the car, I was trying to get it to purge air out of the cooling system by running it with the cap off. Someone told me it would puke a little bit of coolant onto the ground. Well, I sat there in my lawn chair in the summer heat (90's, sunny), watching the car, and it sat there and idled away for thirty minutes with no cap, no pressure in the cooling system, cool as a cucumber. I now use that as my landmark to make sure that the engine is still cooling correctly.

Wonder if there's something blocked in your A/C line, keeping the freon from flowing through correctly and cooling the air?

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
Also make certain the flow to the heater core is being blocked off. Friend of mine couldn't figure out why his aftermarket ac unit sucked so bad come to find out his heater control valve was on backwards allowing water to flow through the core.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts