Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us in the north the driving season is winding down and we are starting those long winter months without our mustangs. I usually have some upgrade in mind.
Last year I replaced the whole rear end with a 9 inch after grenading my 8 inch.
The year before that I added a homemade disc brake swap, homemade front spring seats and homemade Cal Tracs.
The year before that I reringed the small block, ported my aluminum heads and changed cams.
Before that were junkyard leather seats and interior....
This year I am thinking of adding some 3 point retractable seatbelts, installing relays on the headlights and installing LED turnsignals.
I am wondering what other folks are contemplating?
Nothing?
Supercharger,?
New stroker?
Tires?
Maintenance?
What are everyone's plans?

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
978 Posts
I am finally upgrading my engine here towards the end of November. I have been slowly getting parts over the past 2 years and I have everything except the cam and timing chain.

Edelbrock Performer Heads
RPM Air Gap Intake
Roller Rockers (Tie Bar)
Roller Cam - Deciding between 2
Tri-Ys
2.25" Exhaust Upgrade

Should give me a nice boost in performance.

Reactions: cheapbastard

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to drive both of my Mustangs this winter.
I would but I don't think the snow tires would fit. Also might have a problem with the scoop getting full of snow:crying: On the other hand I can get away without air conditioning here which some of the folks in the south might have a hard time doing. I think if I was in the south or west without the winter I would have a hard time taking it off the road to do upgrades.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Headrests and 3-pt belts for the front seats. The simplest safety related upgrades.
Dyno and tune the new Edelbrock.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not much, I think I about did everything I needed to last winter. I might spring for a larger fuel tank and add in a rollover vent valve. A backsplash guard in the filler pipe might be a nice idea while I have it out. I still have 3/4 tank of gas I'll have to run out before the snow flies.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Not much for me:

Light & horn relays
A floor pan patch (leaky cowl)
New carpet and new upholstery.

Reactions: 2nd 66

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just a few odds and ends:

Get the gauge cluster lights to work.
Track down the electrical gremlin in the courtesy lights.
Clean/replace the oil pressure sender.
Paint the pinch welds black.
Paint the inside trunk.
Fix PS leak or replace the cardboard under the car.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Well, I am currently working on my mustang under what is essentially a carport....but happily I live in TN and it rarely gets below 30 degrees in the winter so I am able to just keep on plugging along year round aside from putting on a jacket...however the downside is it is now getting too cool to do painting...and that is the point I am quickly approaching...so my plans are as follows:

1. Build a rotisserie to finish misc metal work..I will likely build a simple wooden frame rotisserie that will support a metal spinner I plan to build out of angle iron and some old driveshafts.

2. Tent off the carport area with some bisquene and set up a temporary paint shop with a portable heater(this works very well in large scale concrete work, so I figure it will do the trick for a temporary paint shop)

3. Strip the paint off everywhere, do endless bodywork, and prime/paint the car.

I am hoping to reach the point I have the thing painted and being able to start assembly by January...maybe I am being optimistic, but it seems plausible.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
^^^ be careful with paint and heaters. Volatiles and open flames are obvious, but I would also remember that combustion produces water vapor. A propane type torpedo heaters put a fair amount of water in the air that can condense on cold surfaces.

·
Registered
107 Posts
1. New brakes all around
2. New leaf springs
3. Alignment/Steering issues
4. Like BigKoppa, replacing cardboard under the car. Probably some NPD boxes

-Steven

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
^^^ be careful with paint and heaters. Volatiles and open flames are obvious, but I would also remember that combustion produces water vapor. A propane type torpedo heaters put a fair amount of water in the air that can condense on cold surfaces.
Thanks for pointing this out, I may have to rethink how I do this, I do have other options available, but maybe I can still make it work, it will require pre-heating and a dehumidifier at least though...or just a nice day to be able to at least lay down the epoxy primer(painting can be done next year as long I get it all sealed up)

·
Registered
31 Posts
1. SoT front coilovers. I just got them last weekend and they sure look nice.

2. Find out why my recently installed 4R70W jumps in and out of gear when I use drive, but that will be a new thread.

Steve

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the comment about the cardboard! I have my 30 year old 2 piece rear main seal to thank for that. It's funny how many of us have pretty long lists. As I have gotten older the little things like interior lights, headrests, seat belts, LIGHTS have gotten more important. I added some junkyard mercedes seats for the headrests but now I want the retractable 3 point seat belts to avoid the "spear o matic" steering column.

All in all these seem like never ending lists.

Reactions: BigKoppa

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
The TMI seat covers and foam with the bolstering and a Watts link. Everything else will have to wait as I have to get the house ready to sell this winter.

Reactions: Rowdy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The TMI seat covers and foam with the bolstering and a Watts link. Everything else will have to wait as I have to get the house ready to sell this winter.
It seems there are always other priorities that have to get done. Good luck with selling your house!

Reactions: Nailbender

·
Registered
938 Posts
1- Put the motor back in the car
2- confirm the vibrations are gone
3- replace front windshield
4- replace rear windshield seal
5- assemble parts for the 9in

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
winter project

Cheap, how about replace that spear steering, THEN do heated seats, then the 3 point belts. The spear would fighten me. Mrs LSG has heated seats inher car, and man, that is nice. Driving a stang in october/ november or april or may could be ALOT more comfortable. LSG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts