Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we had the house built the wife talked me out of a garage door in the living room.

Now its winter and I want to work on the car and cant get it inside the house.

Sucks.

·
Just some guy
20,018 Posts
Should have taken up motorcycles. First time my now wife visited my then house she was very surprised to find me using a complete Harley Davidson as a coffee table. Then again even earlier I did have an ex-landlord call me up to ask what this rusty thing was I had left behind in the kitchen. "Umm, a 302 from an F100?"

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
In my pre-marital apartment I used to have a 351W block with a glass top for a coffee table, an FMX standing on its bellhousing with a lamp shade on the tail shaft, and miscellaneous small Mustang parts are still littered around my den.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I've got a 1300 sq ft attached garage that I keep at 72º when I'm working on my Mustang on the weekends in the winter and summer in Northern Indiana.

I would imagine in Georgia it would be much less expensive to accomplish the same thing? Maybe not in the summer, but definitely in the winter. It was 10º this morning and my garage was at the 50º minimum I keep it at. My natural gas bill was $85 last month for a decent sized house and garage.

I don't understand how living in Georgia in the winter months could possibly suck? I did build houses year round for 30 years in the North though.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Well, in the Deep South, it has been raining nearly constantly for months so that has put a damper on things. And it does get very cold here, just not as often or for as long but just like extreme heat does in other places, when the very cold weather comes here it is harsh for those acclimated to milder weather, we don't have salt or snow plows so road closures are a b!+ch, and some just don't like it, or they'd move north. Seems the people from the north get sick of the cold and move here more often than not. I don't have to put my Mustang (or anything else) up for months at a time, I can drive it year-round, and if it snows once a year my kids actually will appreciate its beauty.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
During my single days, I did store my bikes in the living room. One winter I had a GL-1000, CBX 1000 and a KZ 900.

Those were the good old days. What was common then, is expensive now.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Lol....wife won't even let me work on cars in the garage! Unless it is something like wiper blades or such it must be outside or in my shop building.
I intend to have a decent heater by next winter. That big torpedo heats it up nicely but just a few minutes out there and my clothes smell like it and I am tired of the fumes. Not to mention how much it costs to run and the 20 degree temp swing between on and off. About the time sweat is popping out, it finally kicks off....then the thermostat waits until I am reaching for my jacket before it turns back on.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Lol....wife won't even let me work on cars in the garage! Unless it is something like wiper blades or such it must be outside or in my shop building.
I intend to have a decent heater by next winter. That big torpedo heats it up nicely but just a few minutes out there and my clothes smell like it and I am tired of the fumes. Not to mention how much it costs to run and the 20 degree temp swing between on and off. About the time sweat is popping out, it finally kicks off....then the thermostat waits until I am reaching for my jacket before it turns back on.
[/QUOTE
My biggest mistake. I built my house myself and put radiant floor heat in. I had quite a bit of 7/8” PEX tubing and my plan was to put it in the garage floor (3 car) or at least a bay or two. By the time I finished the house and got around to the garage I completely forgot. Would have been nice lying on warm concrete in the winter...

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
We still haven't had winter here in SC yet. My yard is growing and all my wifes perennial flowers all started blooming last week.

And apparently it just rains all the time now.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
We still haven't had winter here in SC yet. My yard is growing and all my wifes perennial flowers all started blooming last week.
Same here in Alabama. We are apparently in Monsoon Season and I am already seeing flowering trees and some pollen on the cars and on my truck box between rains.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I just checked weatherunderground, we're at 16.6" of rain for the year, other local areas have had as much as 19". At this point we should be somewhere around the 8" mark for the year.

I blame myself. I'm trying to get the roof on my shop, so all it want's to do is rain.

·
Just some guy
20,018 Posts
I KNEW it! You and yer damm roof is what's done all this. All I wanted to do is wash a car.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

And apparently it just rains all the time now.
Same here in Alabama. We are apparently in Monsoon Season and I am already seeing flowering trees and some pollen on the cars and on my truck box between rains.
I actually got on the rider and cut 3 acres on Sunday....if this is any indication I'll be buying a lot of extra gas this summer.

John

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
@subpar63 I need to trim my place and both of the in-laws' places, then put down some pre-emergent weed killer before full Spring.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
yup wives sure so change things

I bought my house 25 yrs ago when i was single and used to rebuild carbs and spray parts on the kitchen table

at any given time there would be at least a few car parts on the coffee table or sofa plus guitars and amps all over the place

but to see her walking across the room in skinny jeans or flipping her legs out of the car with her black skirt on is well worth the change to me.. i dont miss car parts anymore and my guitar playing hasent gotten any better in the last 20 years

·
Registered
26 Posts
cant imagine winter in Georgia being much, if any, worse than the pretty mild one we've had here this year but the never-ending downpours and my current parking lot residence make me understand the struggles of not getting any work done...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts