Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You folks have any good suggestions to prep Stangs for a long winter ahead?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Change the oil, loosen the belts, air up the tires, block the wheels and release the parking brake. Clean the car and put a good cover on it. Then don't get back in it until March or April. Every other year change the Anti-Freeze and bleed the brakes to get clean fluid through the system.

I'm lucky though because my garage is under the house and mostly under the ground level so it stays about 60F degrees during the winter. I don't worry too much about the weather, I just moan about the fact that there's more salt than road out there.
Rich

·
Registered
702 Posts
Everything shortstoke said plus fill the gas tanks and add stabil to them, then run them to get the stabil and fuel to the carb. This will prevent varnish in the carb. Someone mentioned throwing Bounce softener strips in the car to discourage mice from staying for the winter. :p

·
Registered
446 Posts
I gutted mine, took out the motor, transmission,drive shaft, wires, and interior, doors, fenders, trund lid, grills, bumpers and rear end is next. That about it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
to add to what was already mentioned i learned to put boxes of baking soda inside the car to reduce moisture build up. i also learned to put a wad of steel wool in each tail pipe to keep mice from getting in there. make sure to cover it with something breathable like cotton bed sheets. some car covers dont recommend using for long term storage due to the possibility of sticking to the finish.

·
Registered
232 Posts
to add to what was already mentioned i learned to put boxes of baking soda inside the car to reduce moisture build up.
Man. I thought I was original. My 67 had a "stale" smell starting to form on the interior from being all buttoned up. I bought two large throw-away cake pans, and 1 4lb box of baking soda. I put 2 lbs in a tray in the front seat, and 2lbs in the back. I'm hoping it keeps things smelling nice and fresh and reduces moisture.

Crap. I was soooo proud of myself for thinking that one up. I probably read it a while back on here, and just thought I thought of it myself.

Oh well. Gotta go hang Christmas lightes before SWMBO loses her mind... ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts