Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Winterizing / Storage

3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  BURNiNATOR 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I am going to be storing my ‘65 A code for the winter. Any tips and tricks for a smooth spring?

I will be storing it in my buddy’s barn, and plan on wrapping it in a tarp. I will be removing the battery and putting stabil in the tank. Anything else I should do mechanically?

What can I do to keep the critters away?

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
If at all possible only have fuel in the system that is 100% gas, NO ethanol content.

Disconnect battery and use a Battery Tender if you can. I see you are removing it, excellent. Store in a place not subject to freezing.

A breathable cover is better than a tarp, even old blankets. Tarps can trap moisture under them.

I am not sure if dryer sheets work or not on critters. Decon around by each tire might be a good idea if no pets can get to it.

#3 ·
I wouldn't do the tarp because it traps moisture. All I do to winterize my cars is fill up the tank all the way and include Stabil, drive it a few miles to get the gas worked through the carb, and take out the battery and trickle charge every few months while in storage. I keep mouse bait out in the stall I park my car and mice haven't been a problem. Dryer sheets are effective to keep mice out too.

#4 ·
Wash and wax the exterior, including the glass (or RainX). Prop the wiper arms to keep the rubbers off the glass. Clean and vacuum the interior and apply protectant to vinyl surfaces and the dash pad. Fill up all fluids, including the fuel tank (with ethanol-free, if possible). Air up the tires. Coat the chrome and stainless trim with Vaseline for protection, cover the air cleaner/carburetor inlet with a plastic baggie secured with duck tape, same with the exhaust tips. Cover the air inlet grilles in the cowl. Liberally place a bunch of Bounce dryer sheets throughout the trunk and passenger compartment. Make sure the coolant has enough anti-freeze to keep it liquid. If storing inside cover with a soft, light cotton cover.

#13 ·
Nor here.! We also drive ‘em all year, and probably more in winter rather than in summer.!!

Josep

#7 ·
It's a good idea to change the oil and filter before storage, although I know there are many differing opinions on this. IMHO, having fresh clean oil with no combustion impurities in it, makes for no harmful deposits and a cleaner engine for first startup in the spring.

#8 ·
x2. Gas and other blow-by impurities as you say are not good especially for bearings. Change it, run it gently for five minutes after the change and call it a day. Doing it in the fall also allows you to get it going faster in the spring. I take my battery out in the fall, take it down to my basement and I don't put a trickle charger on it. I do not need any electricity coursing through the veins of an old car during the winter. Nor do I need a battery to start leaking in the car. I also don't need explosions in the basement due to a faulty charger or battery. A good battery will retain 85% of its charge over five months. I just give it a charge for 20 minutes to get it to 100% before firing.

#9 ·
Now that I've relocated to LA, I no longer have to worry about hibernation. However, what I use to do when I lived in the tundra of South Dakota was inflate the tires to about 40 PSI and then park on 4 squares of the pink styrofoam insulation.

For critters I used a LOT of bounce dryers sheets spread throughout the engine compartment, the interior and trunk. I also would put out regular scented Irish Spring soap in addition to the dryer sheets, two boxes of soap in each location. Open the box at one end and leave the soap in the box, never had critter issues. Also makes it smell pretty pleasant.

Your mileage may vary.

John

#11 ·
Fill it with gas. No stabil for me, i've used it twice in 32 years and car ran like crap in the spring both times. Make sure your antifreeze is good. Air up the tires. I leave my batteries in (3 cars), but unhook the neg cable and rotate a battery tender. Mine has a green light when the battery is fully charged, I only use it for a few hours on each car every couple weeks. Mice eat Irish Spring and use dryer sheets to build nests. Traps, gotta kill em.

#12 ·
Basic clean up, full tank, StaBil, oil change, and air up the tires about 10 lbs over normal.
No need to make it more complicated than that as long as it's stored indoors.

#14 ·
I've found Irish Spring soap shavings in sealed tupperware type containers with holes in the lid have been very effective. I have these containers in different places in different vehicles, including my DD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.