Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'67 conv.
Another dumb question. How do you get the wiper arms off the shafts. None of my books go into detail. They just say to remove them and go on. Are they just a little tight from corrosion? I don't want to damage them. I've pressed the small flat clip while wiggling them upward, but they don't move. Also, the narrow stainless lower outside windshield trim across the cowl, is it just tucked under the gasket? I don't see any clips like the side trim has.

Everything else has came off pretty easy. It's looking more and more like something found in a junk yard.*G* I figure about 10,000 more hours of work, and it might be a car again.

Thanks for the help!
Chris Taylor

'67 Conv. 289 C-code Frost Turquise
'99 Ford F250 Super Duty 4x4
'01 Ford Escape (wife's car)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
to get them off the shaft i just lift the arm up and pry it of the shaft with a screw driver (carefully) u may want to use somethingelse though if its got nice paint. if u lift the arm up though it should slip straight off. mine did anyways. to my knowledge there are no keepers or anything of the sort.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They can be stubborn, they make a tool, should be available through local autoparts for pulling them without scratching paint.A big screw driver just doesn't go good with paint-I found this out the hard way trying to get mine off last year.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed
1964 Fairlane 500 2DR HT-the new project
1986 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 the "beater"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1573428&a=11959254&p=43023698.jpg

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
The chrome under the windshield does have the same type
of clips. They can be a real challenge to get off.
The wiper arms are also a challenge to get off. If they
have never been off, you are probable right, they have some
corrosion and want to stay where they are. In the past I
have tried to wiggel with a little help from a heavily padded
pry bar. PRY BAR!!! I put a piece of cardboard on two towels
on the cowel, some masking tape on the pry bar, more towels,
and some gentle force on the lower lip towards the arm side by
the little clip. You can try a set of chanel lock pliars wraped with
tape and cover the area with towels. The force holding them on
is from the wiper arm against the glass. That is the angle you
have to work with and try to get the part on the post to move
in the other direction. Good Luck!

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
On my '66 and '65 I just use a claw hammer to pop the wipers off. Just put a lot of padding (shop towels, etc.) down where the claw hammer will contact the body of the car to prevent scratching ... usually pops them right off with no effort at all, as the claw hammer forms exactly the right angle for removal.

On the '69 I use the trick previously mentioned using heavily padded channel locks to "wiggle" them off. With the bolt on cowl covers of the '69, it's not as rigid, and therefore the claw hammer trick doesn't work as well.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts