Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me again, I am assembling my early 65, I located the broken wiper pivot post bases that poke through the cowl. They were in one of the many boxes of parts I have. I bought some pivot arms with posts solidly attached on ebay and now need the bolts, or the dimensions for the bolts. There are three on each...

Through trial and error I suspect they are 1/4" probably 20 threads per inch. Anyone know for sure and what length they should be?

Not worried about concours. Building a nice driver.

Also for leaking sake what is the best seal to use? I have some original leathers that are still intact, noticed they sell rubber and heard of others using a sealant on the surface too.

Tips?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I don't know the size of those bolts, but NPD does sell the 6 bolt kit. It is their part number 17566-1AK.

I have re-used the leather seals with no problem. I have heard of fitment problems with the rubber seals.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oh man, Sorry, I overlooked them in the NPD catalog. I saw the ones for the 71-73 with torx head but not these ones. I guess I am use to looking at the pictures.. I think I am overly cautious when i am doing things for the first time. I didn't want to hit anything up inside by using a longer bolt than I should.

When I pulled them up in the catalog they appear to be about an inch long so i will use my own rather order some.

Also will re-use my leather seals, might rub some leather conditioner on them first.

Thanks Ivy:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine are off the car (waiting for new seals) - the bolts are indeed an inch long with a head that fits a 7/16 socket.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just went through this with my 65 FB. Trying to keep it all original with the leather seals and proper bolts, ( the type that have the washer made on it) I ordered the AMK bolt kit from Mustangs Unlimited. After waiting for two weeks, they finally arrived. And guess what, they sent 6 plain grade two bolts and lock washers that I could have bought at Walmart or Home Depot. Not even grade five. Anyway, they are 1/4 -20 thread, 7/8 of an inch long. So don't waste your time or money buying them from a vender selling AMK hardware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts