Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an original 2-speed wiper motor and matching switch in my 65. Both speeds work and parks just fine, even the washer function is good. However, it doesn‘t make a full sweep of the windshield. It stops about 75-80% of the way, then returns to start the next cycle.

Any ideas as to what I can do to get a full sweep?

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
The '65 wiper motor uses a gearbox similar to a washing machine. The arm on the gearbox that connects to the linkage that goes to the wiper pivots oscillates rather than rotates. The length of that arm would control the amount of sweep.

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Mine has the two speed and I think it comes up higher than that. Try turning the ignition switch to the on position, turning the wiper switch on and when it gets to the highest position turn the ignition switch off. Then adjust the outside wiper arm so that it is about an 85 degree angle from the bottom of the windshield or about five degrees from the left side. Turn the switch off then turn the ignition back on and let the wiper arms come to rest. See if they still go almost to the bottom but when they wipe again, come up a little higher.

·
Registered
35,879 Posts
The one-speed and two-speed had different arms on the motor. They are NOT interchangeable. Oddly enough, the connecting rods from the motor to the wipers were the same.

One-speed:

Two speed:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic...?

Now I need another motor arm. That means I have to pull the dash apart again to get the motor back out to swap in the correct arm.

Truth be told, I bought the original 2-speed motor many years ago but didn’t install it until recently. A few months ago I ran across the intermittent wiper swap write up, and started gathering the parts.

I figured, if the old 2-speed motor doesn’t work, I could do the intermittent swap. Other than the switch, I’ve got everything to do the swap including my original 1-speed bracket.

I guess I’ll do the intermittent swap, and try to sell the complete 2-speed setup once I find the unobtanium motor arm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts