Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgot all about my wipers when I was doing this ez-wiring installation. I noticed I have 1 power wire, that will go to the plug.. That much I know.. Now studying the diagram, I'm confused as to how the high and low speed works.. Does a resistor somewhere step it down to a lower voltage or something, or...?

I might be able to figure out the wiring if I were just to bypass the foot pedal (This is a 67) but it might be nice to include that as well.. However mine is old and sitting in a box.. How exactly does that foot pedal work so I can multimeter it? I thought it was just engages and turns on the wipers, but there are 4 wires, and that seems overkill to me, so what am I missing? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
There are separate low and high wires coming out of the switch going to the motor. Foot pedal is just the pump switch, yes?

Do you have 7 wires coming out of the switch?

What area of the circuitry are you confused before the switch or after the switch?

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like (According to diagram, I haven't attempted it yet) there are 5 wires coming out of the switch from the cluster, and 4 coming out of the foot pedal.. As I said i MIGHT bypass the footpedal, depending on if the switch works, and there are 4 wires going into the wiper motor. So the actual switch in the instrument cluster adjusts for the high/low speed? How does it do that? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
I take back some of my comments above, for I just looked at the following:

67 wiper schematics

I think #63 red might be your low speed wire and 615a black might be your high speed wire. No matter what you can always do a bench test of the motor to see which is what.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But I mean, does the motor get 12v from both those wires, and it's stepped down inside the motor or something (If so, seems redundant to have to wires going to it), or is it stepped down inside the switch or something? This of course is basing it all on the idea that the wiper goes slower when it has less voltage to it. If thats not how this work, my mistake, and I'm really in the dark then. :D

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
A constant 12v goes to the motor. You can activate the slow and fast wires with a battery charger without using the switch.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha! Thanks a lot.. Now the footswitch, I'm still confused as to why that has 4 wires in it? Have a simple explanation? I'm staring at his diagram going blank.. :D

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
On 65/66's with two speeds there are just two wires from washer pump. One to the switch and one to the motor. In the 67 I see a wire from the pedal to the motor which isn't marked on the drawing. Yet you have 3 wires going to the switch. Of the 3 wires only wire 615 goes back to the switch without doubling up with other wires heading back to the motor. Notice wires 63a and 58a go the terminals that already have wires 63 and 58 going to the motor.

Don't understand the reasoning for this. Actually don't know why on earth Ford went backwards when they left the dash setup as in the 65/66 to a foot setup. It is the one thing I really don't like in Shag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts