Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a lot of reference to wire brushing the rust before you paint over it. However, I am confused on what they are... Is a wire brush literally what is sounds like, a brush? Although when some people refer to them they make them sound like a attachment for a power tool. Which is it? Sorry for the stupid question I am just a little confused. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
All of the above....I have everything from small hand brushes barely bigger than a toothbrush to 6" wire wheels on a grinder.
I use the grinder for most items, along with cup brushes on my drill. Sounds like a trip to the nearest hardware store is in order....bring lots of money. If your budget is limited, just get brusheds that chuck to your drill....assorted sizes to reach different areas.
As for apologizing for the stupid question...there are no stupid questions....
Well, I quess there are a few stupid questions...like "Who farted?"...that's a stupid question....
no...that's not a stupid question....it's kinda silly, but I quess there are valid reasons that one might want to know who farted....I'm not aware of any reasons at the moment but I quess there are good ones...
what were we talking about?

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
They're all wire brushes. Starting with one that resembles a hairbrush for hand use. Then ones that mount in your electric drill. Brushes for a bench grinder or a Dremel tool. Brushes for an electric 4" hand grinder or 1/4" grinder (sort of like a drill).
All of these and more are at Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears tool department, etc, etc.
I personally like the last 2 grinders mentioned. Eye protection is definitely required with them. It's amazing how fast they can knock rust and junk off. You can buy stiff brushes that will remove EVERYTHING but the metal to ones so soft they will barely scratch paint. Wire brushes are kinda like wrenches, the more kinds you have, the more stuff you can do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hey, whoa! Before you go to the hardware store or your local Wal-Mart, get you one of those 3-M paint remover drill attachments. They look like a circular sponge dipped in abrasive material that fastens to a drill. I use those, and they do a pretty darn good job of removing paint and rust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts