Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed lately that when I am welding a continuous bead that after about 3-5 seconds it will hesitate for a second. I can release the trigger and start again and its fine. I had my dad watch and the wire seems to be feeding fine out of the machine ok. Where do I start checking? TIA Its a lincoln 110 weld pac using flux core wire, 030 IIRC.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Mine is doing the same. I'm thinking junk in the wire sleeve.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Either its:
Worn or incorrect groove selected in roller
Too much tension on roller
Too much tension on spool
Junk in your trunk.....er nozzel

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
All of what Craig said... I found that 2 lb spools tend give more trouble than the 10 lb spools. On my lincoln welder the wing nut that keeps the spool on sometimes tightens up during use. The 10 lb spool adapter does not have a provision for setting spool tension. Also being a larger spool I think the leverage is better and is easier to unravel.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Sometimes the wire speed being a little too fast can cause things not to go right, but I would agree with junk in the liner.

Doug

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Last time I was having a problem like that I changed the tip and, even though wire still fit through the old tip, putting a new one on fixed it. Something about the old tip--either it got distorted or trash in it or something, but it was fixed.

·
Registered
441 Posts
My first gun would do that if it twisted during feeding. I replaced the wand, and it hasn't done it yet.

Jon

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Not sure how old or used your welder is, but the liners in your torch hose can go bad. I replace mine and it runs as smooth as ever, and it's very easy and inexpensive to do, I bet replacing your linger will help!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine was driving me nuts doing that. In my case, I tightened down the wing nut that puts pressure on the wire and rollers and it stopped.

I also had this happened when I accidentally let the end of the wire go and the spool unwound. I threw that spool out and bought a new one since I could never get it working normally again.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That unwinding of the wire is affectionately known as "bird nesting," and is commonly cured by putting more pressure on the spool of wire, so that it does not unwind when you release the trigger.

·
Registered
371 Posts
i have a weld pac 100 it does this with some of the new spools . I stop it by placing a pair of vise grips on the tension nut to keep it at a slightly tight tension . Get a different spool and the problem is gone . Some spools are a bit thicker i think is what does it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you're using flux core it could be that your welding surface is getting dirty and your not getting good current flow, try moving the clamp closer to the weld, use a sheilding gas and stop every few sec. and clean up the welding area.

matt

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Ditto on junk in the liner. I clean mine with brake cleaner and compressed air after every 10lb spool of wire. If that doesn't do the trick, replace the liner.

Oh and FFS, get the gas conversion on that welder....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts