Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me or provide me with a wiring diagram for the neutral safety switch for a C4? I know what the wires do but I don't know which is which. Also 2 are the same color.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
One Pair connects to the section of the switch that closes the circuit and turns on the backup lights when the shifter is put in reverse.

The other pair connects to the section of the switch that OPENS another circuit unless the shift lever is in park or neutral, so the car cannot be started in gear.

Both need 12 volts DC to work so that's the common wire.

Seems like one pair has a blue plug and the other has a red plug.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two colors for on my switch are red and red with black stripe. Is the red for the neutral safety part and the other for the reverse lights? My car is a 67.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Greetings,

Many times on switch leads, the proper curcuit colours are not maintained. Go to the connector at the chassis harness, and note the colours, there. The connector only plugs in one way. The 12 volt switched source for the back-up lights should be white with pink, and the switch out wire to the lamps should be black with pink.

For the start circuit, circuit 32, the wire colour should be red with light blue. 12 volts comes from the ignition switch only in the start position, and goes to the "S" terminal of the solenoid on the fender apron.

Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts