Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to think about the wiring process and was wondering what type of loom is best and affordable. I prefer not to use the convoluted split plastic stuff. I'm using the AAW harness.

·
Registered
34,247 Posts
Well, you could always use wiring harness tape, as Ford did. It's not electrical tape, as it has no glue to seep out.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I used WireCare's F6 woven wire loom. Its easy to use and looks nice. Its tough as nails and pretty easy to use. I also have AAW and wrapped all of it. I think I used 3 different sizes. U can cut it with a hot knife (use a torch to heat a razor blade and one swipe and its done) I just bought more for any future wiring projects because I liked it so much. 1/8 is for single wires, 3/16 is for about 2 or three if they are small, the main harness I think I used 5/8. You can also use a small piece of shrink wrap at the end of the loom and onto your wire connector for an absolutely beautiful result. I would definetly recommend

·
Registered
99 Posts
I used WireCare's F6 woven wire loom. Its easy to use and looks nice. Its tough as nails and pretty easy to use. I also have AAW and wrapped all of it. I think I used 3 different sizes. U can cut it with a hot knife (use a torch to heat a razor blade and one swipe and its done) I just bought more for any future wiring projects because I liked it so much. 1/8 is for single wires, 3/16 is for about 2 or three if they are small, the main harness I think I used 5/8. You can also use a small piece of shrink wrap at the end of the loom and onto your wire connector for an absolutely beautiful result. I would definetly recommend

Any pics?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Not with me. I can try to shoot a pic of the loom but IDK if it will show up well- probably the loom itself would show- I will try to get pics tonight- Their website has pics of the material (oh i used black btw but they have a bunch of colors and patterns)

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used WireCare's F6 woven wire loom. Its easy to use and looks nice. Its tough as nails and pretty easy to use. I also have AAW and wrapped all of it. I think I used 3 different sizes. U can cut it with a hot knife (use a torch to heat a razor blade and one swipe and its done) I just bought more for any future wiring projects because I liked it so much. 1/8 is for single wires, 3/16 is for about 2 or three if they are small, the main harness I think I used 5/8. You can also use a small piece of shrink wrap at the end of the loom and onto your wire connector for an absolutely beautiful result. I would definitely recommend
Do you recall about how much of each length you bought?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
about 20 feet of the 5/8- then about 50 of 3/16 and 1/8 (but I covered everything- even all the way to the horns, under dash- everything was covered. I think I am gonna be a little short on the 1/8 so thats why I ordered more (I got 50 more feet so I could use for ATV/Trailer wiring etc)

·
Registered
140 Posts
about 20 feet of the 5/8- then about 50 of 3/16 and 1/8 (but I covered everything- even all the way to the horns, under dash- everything was covered. I think I am gonna be a little short on the 1/8 so thats why I ordered more (I got 50 more feet so I could use for ATV/Trailer wiring etc)
+1 I have the AAW harness from front to rear and covered everything with just about the same amounts with a little left over.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I used Techflex F6 which I think is what you said you do not want to use. The trick I learned mid way is to cut it with a hot knife or in my case I heated a 1.5" scraper blade with a torch red hot. This seals the ends so it does not fray. I also used various round tools/pipes to burn holes for junctions. I love the way it came out. I also used cloth harness tape as underwrap at the "Y's".

I used 1", 3/4", 1/2", 3/8", 1/4", and 1/8" for various areas to do under dash, engine bay and trunk area. I had a lot of custom wiring and used a lot of this stuff. I dismissed the 1/8" at first as being too small, but it is fantastic to wrap a single wire or a couple smaller wires

Edit: Here is what I used. Have some left, but could have used more 1/2" and I am totally out of 1/4". If I had it to do over I would have used a lot more 1/8" under the dash so would have bought 50'
1/8" 25
1/4" 50
3/8" 50
1/2" 10
3/4" 20
1" 10

wiring 2.JPG

wiring 1.JPG

wiring.jpg

Wiring holes.JPG

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think OP said he didn't want the "walmart" kind (the funkyhard plastic ribbed) kind that never closes right and wires fall out and looks like a 5 y/o wired it up)- or that was my interp- so if this led us down the wrong road- my bad

·
Registered
923 Posts
I also used TechFlex with my AAW harness. Easy to use and looks great. I bought some 1” and didn’t use any of it. Mostly used 3/4”, 3/8”, 1/4” and 1/8”.

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Timely discussion.
I ordered some power braid and harness tape to try.

Holley makes some too.
Some came with my sniper and I order some extra.
I’ll try the hot knife next time too.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The power braid came in.
Looks just like the Holley stuff to me.
One of the two Probably just rebranded...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
I also used the tech flex split loom for my AAW install, got it direct from the guy that sells on eBay - discounted enough to cover shipping costs. I put heat shrink around most of the ends, too.
Here's what I used:
3/4" 6 ft
1/2" 19 ft
3/8" 32 ft
1/4" 38 ft
The 1/4 may be a little high because since I had it I used it for the rear speaker wires, probably a total of 15-18 feet just for them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts