Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to keep adding stuff that gives me more wires, electric fans, ac, stereo, efi and I got lots connected to the starter solenoid for the 12volt source. Any advice on how to hide these wires? I have sleeves on some as you can see but the sleeves only seem to help for some. Lot of the wires split off out of the sleeve.

What's the trick to keeping all the wires in track? Also I need to mention the hoses. Such as fuel line in and out and all the vac lines just all add up to a mess.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
May I suggest a remote 12 volt junction hidden someplace and using black split loom instead of a bright color? Routing stuff behind the inner fenders, under the shock tower braces and using right angles?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Holy crap! +1 on Bart's suggestion for some kind of remote power block. I have a mega fuse inline between my 1 wire alternator and battery, I use the further post to power my electric fans.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The starter solenoid is just one ugly part. Besides hiding it anyone know of a cover for it? Or maybe a cover for relay switches to help keep away the heat?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Look at Blue Sea Systems, they have a lot of those products. Don’t know where you live but if you have a West Marine nearby they should have something like it, if not that actual part.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Painless Power Braid is a great help. It looks better than crinkly plastic covers. Also, cut wires to the correct length and plan your bundles before installing terminals. Don't always take the shortest path from one terminal to another. Instead, take the route that allows effective integration of wires into bundles. Creating nice looking wiring is a tedious process that, thank goodness, you should only have to do once. https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/braids

·
Registered
224 Posts
Agreed that this needs to start before any wires are connected. Trying to clean up a messy wiring installation after the fact is going to be difficult if not impossible. Remember that wire is cheap, and you can always do it better the second time. :)

Plan the routing carefully to have all the wires following the same path. Figure out where you're going to attach the wire bundles to the aprons or wherever else works. Use either a wrap of some sort (braided, plastic spiral, tape) or waxed lacing cord. That takes time, but a lifetime supply of it from aircraftspruce.com is cheap. Just don't use zip ties. They look like hell and eventually will cut the back of your hand when you reach for something.

·
Dimples
3,506 Posts
Painless Power Braid is a great help. It looks better than crinkly plastic covers. Also, cut wires to the correct length and plan your bundles before installing terminals. Don't always take the shortest path from one terminal to another. Instead, take the route that allows effective integration of wires into bundles. Creating nice looking wiring is a tedious process that, thank goodness, you should only have to do once. https://www.painlessperformance.com/wc/braids
I came into this thread thinking about powerbraid (I have lots of it and it’s amazing), but the rest of this post is gold too.

I was fortunate enough to have a good friend who worked at Painless help me wire my car. It’s so clean. I love it.

·
Registered
563 Posts
When I had my Ranger I added both Fog and Driving lights to the front. Took us 8 hours to wire it and looking under the hood you could not tell. Using the proper stuff and prior planning will go along way.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Now that you have your "prototype" system debugged, its time to design your final system. Elegance in Muscle Car design is deciding what you want the experience for the viewer to be when you open the hood - before you start. For me, I want them to focus on a clean small block, The rest of the world should just melt away in a sea of satin black. Some prefer polished aluminum and chrome everywhere. They are different effects, but should be a planned execution. . I don't want eyes distracted by chrome monte carlo bars (curved or straight ;o)) or a radical air cleaners, the motor is the point in my motif (bet you don't see that word too often on this forum ;o)). I chose to stick to a simple black radiator and fan (no clutch) even though it cost HP, its just so old school hailing back to Model Ts...

Red (any color) wires draw the eye and as you noted by the responses here, our eyes were immediately drawn to the wiring. Remount relays and non-stock "boxes" cleanly, paint them satin black if they have to be in sight, use a bus bar to run connections cleanly. Rewire the car using the smallest number of large shrink-wrap runs tucked away as cleanly as possible with slits for wires to exit. A good place to tuck things like relays etc is by the radiator on the driver's side. From the front of the car you can't really see it, that is where my MSD box (painted satin black) resides along with a terminal block for all my connections and a small fuse box. I have one shrinkwrapped run from that side to the motor run very low so as to not draw attention. My alternator wires are run under the waterpump through that run to the terminal block and regulator and my solenoid is in the trunk with the battery so the entire fender is clean.

You have a great start, motor looks good, now clean things up if a clean engine compartment is as you wish. In a nutshell and very respectfully, my advice is throw the lipstick away and redesign...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts