Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Leave it! I don't think the 3rd brake light flashing is all together bad. Anything up to throwing things at the people behind us is not a horrible idea! Now if that light had two elements that could be divided L/R would be even better:)
I used one of these. Cost around $5. Its intended for scooters, but I just made up a mounting and it fits in well. You can hardly notice it until it lights up. Works great, but I did have to run dedicated wires.

We have amber turn signals here.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have never attempted the brake light switch until now. Is it just a simple contact circuit between positive and negative wires?

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
I have never attempted the brake light switch until now. Is it just a simple contact circuit between positive and negative wires?
No, it's not. The brake light switch is installed "inline" in the positive wire. There is no negative wire involved with the switch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No, it's not. The brake light switch is installed "inline" in the positive wire. There is no negative wire involved with the switch.
I'm not really sure what this means. All I did was run a power wire from the light to the brake switch and ground the other at the light. The light works fine. Or are you saying I did it wrong and should re do it some other way? Its been this way for around 12 months so far.

·
Registered
34,326 Posts
I'm not really sure what this means. All I did was run a power wire from the light to the brake switch and ground the other at the light. The light works fine. Or are you saying I did it wrong and should re do it some other way? Its been this way for around 12 months so far.
Nope, you have it right. The "load" side of the brake light switch to the lamp and then to ground.

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
a power wire from the light to the brake switch and ground the other at the light
If you connected a wire from the brake switch and grounded it at the light you have created a direct short and you will pop the circuit breaker every time you step on the brake pedal. If you connected a wire from the brake switch to the red wire on the 3rd brake light and connected the black wire on the 3rd brake light to ground you wired it correctly.

Here's a diagram I drew up to make it simple. You must splice the wire going to the third brake light into the 12V wire between the brake light switch and the turn signal switch. Third Brake Light.jpeg

·
Administrator
19,819 Posts
What? Not sure how that could be construed as meaning he ran a hot wire directly to ground while the light wires are dangling and connected to nothing?

How about "a power wire from the light to the brake switch and ground the other wire to the body in the vicinity of the light."
Better?

·
Registered
699 Posts
What of he wanted the turn signal function to occur. Would he splice somewhere after the turn signal switch point? Or add a second positive wire?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I used one of these. Cost around $5. Its intended for scooters, but I just made up a mounting and it fits in well. You can hardly notice it until it lights up. Works great, but I did have to run dedicated wires.

We have amber turn signals here.
View attachment 739049
Assie 67 thats pretty sweet. Kinda like the long Tesla style lights. Can you give a schematic or words to how you "dedicated wires" ?

·
Registered
34,326 Posts
If I were to consider adding a center-mounted stop lamp to a vintage Mustang, I think I'd use a rope lamp, like the 39" one pictured below ($8.99 online) and secure it to the upper rear window trim using red plastic clips...

·
Registered
699 Posts
I wonder if it would just blow the vintage look, But yes cool.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Here is a slightly different perspective. Just don’t. Center lamps are worthless on vintage Mustangs. I ripped mine out and am fixing the butchered wiring. When someone sees your car their eyes are immediately drawn to the vintage tail lights and the car’s lines. They won’t see it in the window deck.
People did not see my car during daylight and I’d aid my turn signal with a hand sig to change lanes.

Invest in some high quality flat panel tail lamp LED lights. They are very bright and get noticed. Especially during stops.
I used these. Rear lamps and x2 LED blinkers $234. They also re-use the existing lens where many become the lens.

www.vintageleds.com

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My car has a CHMSL from a Chrysler K car on the rear package tray. It's mounted on a piece of wood and the assembly is sprayed the same color as the rest of the interior. It's been there since 1986 so it's somewhat more period correct than LED rope lights. A Cougar has sequential turn lights and there is a wire in the trunk, before the sequential flasher box that powers the CHMSL. Cougars have rear brake lights 3 times brighter than the average Mustang and seemingly hard-to-miss turn signals yet they get rear-ended as often as any other car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Assie 67 thats pretty sweet. Kinda like the long Tesla style lights. Can you give a schematic or words to how you "dedicated wires" ?
Seriously, this is an easy mod/ upgrade. As Gypsy said...………… a power wire from the light to the brake switch and ground the other wire to the body in the vicinity of the light. For the turn signal, I ran power wires (LH/ RH) from the steering column loom. No addition ground needed for the turn signals as it works off the common ground at the light.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here is a slightly different perspective. Just don’t. Center lamps are worthless on vintage Mustangs. I ripped mine out and am fixing the butchered wiring. When someone sees your car their eyes are immediately drawn to the vintage tail lights and the car’s lines. They won’t see it in the window deck.
You're probably right, but I have had several people say to me that without the window light, they couldn't see that I was stopping. BTW, I run plasma LED globes in the tail lights. And while no where as good as the ventage LED's in your link, the window light cost me $5.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts