Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an aftermartket volt meter that I want to mount in my 68- however I lost the instructions. Where is the best (and easiest) place to connect the positive side of the meter to?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I hooked up my autometer guage to my hot lead that goes to my aftermarket ignition.

What you're looking for is any wire that's hot while the ignition is on.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Find any wire that gets hot when the key is turned. I spliced right into my ignition wire. No problem. Just make sure you ground the negative securely.

·
Registered
758 Posts
If you wire it straight to unswitched battery voltage, you can monitor static system voltage and cranking voltage - both very useful for monitoring/diagnostic purposes. The meter should not draw more than a few milliamps, if that - no worry about draining the battery.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>If you wire it straight to unswitched battery voltage

Any suggestions on exactly where to wire it to?
Good idea !!
Dan

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
>If you wire it straight to unswitched battery voltage

Any suggestions on exactly where to wire it to?
Good idea !!
Dan
I always wire directly to the battery; it's the very best place to monitor "battery voltage". Wiring it anywhere else doesn't take into account the effect of wiring harness loses, especially if heavy draw accessories are running on the same line. But the easies and neatest place is right at the starter solenoid where the heavy red cable from the battery is connected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts