Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an Autometer tach and used to have MSD. Tach green wire went straight to a plug on the MSD box so wiring was a snap.

I just ditched the MSD (constant problems) for Pertronix and can't find the Autometer installation instructions.

Can anybody tell me how an Autometer tach is wired up with stock coil and Pertronix? I've got it in my head that the green tach wire should go to the negative side of the coil, but I don't want to make any connections until I'm sure--I don't want to fry anything. :confused:

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
james_e said:
I've got it in my head that the green tach wire should go to the negative side of the coil, but I don't want to make any connections until I'm sure--I don't want to fry anything. :confused:
Bingo! Also you can download the directions for the tach. What is the model number?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I just ditched the MSD (constant problems) for Pertronix and can't find the Autometer installation instructions.
Just ditched the MSD and kept the Pertronix? Seems backward to me. If I was going to ditch one or the other, I'd keep the high performance part and ditch the Pertronix.

What kind of problems where you having? I ran an MSD with a Pertronix for many years before dumping the whole distributor for an MSD distributor. I only got rid of the FoMoCo distributor and Pertronix because of the great deal I got on the MSD Pro Billet, not because of any problems.

And, yes, the green wire goes to the - side of the coil.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 2893 Mini that I mounted behind the roll-up door of my console. When you asked what model number it was, I had to go look. Then I pulled the instructions off of their site and you're absolutely right--Green wire on the negative side of the coil.

Thanks!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the 6AL box and also made the mistake of getting the MSD distributor that is only useable with the control box.

At any rate, the 6AL developed an intermittent power cut-off that I couldn't track down. Sometimes it would run fine then just quit, as if the key had been turned off. Then it got to the point that the car would only run for five or ten seconds and cut off.

Box is out of warranty.

I swapped in my stock distributor with Pertronix I setup and it immediately ran like a top.

I never liked the look of the box (I went to great pains to hide it) and the flashy distributor. Most everything on the car looks stock, so the original distributor is a bit of an improvement, IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts