Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew when I purchased my 67 Coupe that the vehicle would require wiring restoration among other things.....

Yesterday I began the exploration activities to determine where to start on the electrical, after all its much easier to work on the dash when the floor boards have been removed and it’s on a lift - you can actually stand up inside the car!

The vehicle has the obvious cosmetic flavor of a teenage hot rodder, so I’m not bashing the prior owner or calling him/her a hacker... all I could do when I made this discovery was grin and think how creative!

You can see from the original photos of the engine all the single strands of wiring zip tied all over the place. There is also a toggle switch assembly screwed into dash.

After opening up the dash, I found the actual dash harness to be very intact - so far I could only find one wire which was modified in the harness and it was the power wire to the ignition. The covering was stripped (it was not cut in half) and a jumper wire was wrapped into the hot wire and then routed to a toggle.

The toggles are routed to the fuse panel with the male wiring connector slid under the fuse. The toggles also feed and turn on power to the aftermarket guage cluster for illumination.

The harness I have attached in the image is the engine harness and you can see how chopped up the factory end is that plugs into the OEM harness. When I pulled this harness through the firewall into the cabin I could not believe what I found. The entire harness was cut off and it looks like the end was wrapped with three rolls of electrical tape.

The headlamp plugs are a fixed to the lamps with the connector, but that’s it - no other lamp wiring exists for the headlamps or front turn signals.

It’s obvious the factory engine harness was bypassed with multiple single wires a fixed to these toggles and fuse panel.

Does anyone make a replacement engine harness? Or does it only come with a complete dash kit?

Happy Palm Sunday!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I guess it depends what route you want to take. You can get aftermarket kits that have everything you need. They will have modern type fuse boxes, but they don't stick to the stock wire diagram and the next owner will have very little idea how it is wired. Not to mention that people that go this route have endless questions on these forums about how to fix their problems. I prefer to stay with stock harnesses, but modify them if needed. One of the best is Alloy Metal Products. You can get them from National Parts Depot and other vendors. Another route that is less expensive is to have your harnesses reconditioned. NO ONE knows classic Mustangs better than Midlife: http://midlifeharness.com . He is an administrator on another site- StangFix.com

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
^^^ Agreed. You have three choices: 1. Have your under-dash harness fixed by Midlife. You might also need to buy new harness replacements for those under the hood. 2. Buy new harnesses to replace the old ones. This takes the least time – it’s essentially a plug-n-play effort – but may be the most expensive. There are a bunch of different harnesses in the car, and different versions of some depending on accessories such as fog lamps & tach, so get an electrical assembly manual. All the harnesses are available from multiple vendors. 3. Rewire the entire car with a new complete harness which includes a modern fuse block and wiring for modern accessories like power windows, electronic ignition, electric choke, etc. This takes the most time and may cause the most headaches.

ELECTRICAL ASSEMBLY MANUAL 69 - #L-33F - National Parts Depot

Reactions: Thegundog

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
My recommendation would be a "plug and play" replacement harness from Alloy Metal Products.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
76 Posts
I just dealt with a major rewire of my stock harness. It turned out good, but it was still a pain and I was just dealing with a burnt up wire. Since yours looks a little more chopped up, I would recommend, based on my experience, to just pony up and get the reproduction harness. Might be worth not chasing gremlins later!

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
I think your dash harness is beyond what Midlife can fix. FYI, he did my 1970 Mach 1 harness and he did a great job. Sorry to hear someone was not happy with his work.

I installed a reproduction engine harness I got from NPD. Very happy with it. It was nice to simply follow the factory wiring diagrams. It worked fine for almost 50 years. I didn't see a need to go custom.

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
Any reason you dont want to get a painless harness? Mine just arrived and tackling it over the weekend. I was debating fixing what was there as I think its mostly okay but didnt feel like the hassles and trouble

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I find painless to be painful when you have to pay up. Pretty expensive in my book. Good stuff but proud of their products...but then again I’m cheeeeeeeaaaappppp!

·
Registered
1968 mustang coupe
94 Posts
I understand. It was a hard price to swallow but it’s all compete and in the long run cheap haha

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to order an engine harness through NPD.

I feel like I have received good value (quality & cost) in their products through previous purchases and I've been really happy with the support staff and the fast shipping.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,369 Posts
NOW you tell me! I feel like a dammfool. All those years ago the first thing I did to my '67 was replace the floor pans. If I had only known! I could have just cut them out and left them. Then skipped all that later twisting, crawling, and neck craning up under the dash. I could have just put the car on the lift and stood IN it and reached right up into the dash for whatever I wanted to do. I can just picture it. I SO missed out.

Reactions: watto1
1 - 13 of 13 Posts