Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I am going to install my original AM radio in my '65 Fastback, but I am having a bit of difficulty determining which wires are which on my radio. There are four wires that come out of the side. There are two that have a single connector on them (the wires are black and black/green). I believe these are for the speakers. The other two wires are blue/red and black. What are the blue/red and the black wire for? I'm assuming one is for power and the other is for the radio light? Which is which??

Also, when referring to the following diagram:
http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/wiring/1965/1965i.jpg

I believe I am missing wire 137 that connects the main power to the radio. I believe I'm also missing wire 19 that connects the power to the light in the radio. Where can I get these wires?? I'd like to use one of the wires that has those plug-in connectors... are they easy to find??

Thanks all!
Rob

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I think I need to post a picture to show what I have. It sounds like we're on the same page with the speaker wire... but I'm not sure about the others. There are two other wires, as shown in the picture below. I think there is actually a spot on the body of the radio to connect a ground wire to... but I'll have to reverify. There isn't actually a red wire... but rather a blue/red wire.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The pair of wires with the dual connector is the speaker signals. The single black wire goes to switched ignition power, (on with the key). The remaining Blue/Red wire is for the dash lights. The radio ground is made through the metal strap to the back stud on the top of the radio’s case.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, that's what I was thinking. For the black wire, do I connect it directly to the key, or should there be a wire that runs to a three-way split that connects into the fuse box as per this diagram:

1965 Mustang Wiring for Accessories

Actually, when I'm looking at this diagram I see that it says blue/red is for the radio light anyhow! This all makes sense!

Also, does anyone know where to get the wire with the connectors on it for these wires? I'd like to get some that plug directly into my radio and into that three-way split connector.

Thanks!
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts