Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 2018 Coyote engine in my 66 Mustang convertible. I bought a complete engine on a pallet with transmission, wiring harness, control module, instrument panel, fuel tank......the whole package. When it arrived all we needed was a little fuel and a battery to crank it up. Now my mechanic is confused as to where all the wires go. He's asking me to spend close to $2,000 for a wiring harness. My question is do I need a new complete harness or a new mechanic? If a new harness would be cleaner, is there a specific brand you would recommend?

·
Dimples
4,836 Posts
Now my mechanic is confused as to where all the wires go.
This does not inspire confidence.

Based on this thread and the transmission thread, I have to ask, do you have a build plan for this? There’s some major modification necessary and you and the mechanic need to have an understanding of what needs to be done and the labor and cost involved.

Not being a jerk, just trying to illustrate the scope of what you’re taking on.

·
Registered
221 Posts
They make harnesses specifically for this swap but since you have the harness, computer/module, ignition, pertinent sensors and tank.... It should work just fine.

I mean, other than all the suspension/steering you're going to have to deal with.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
There are enough people who have done those swaps already. If I was in your shoes, I wouldn’t mind paying for the skilled labor.. but not for their learning curve.

Theres another thread here with a 67 coupe-to-vert that’s getting a coyote swap. A poster commented recommending making the rad support removable using riv-nut. Referencing that he had to R&R the coyote/tranny 15 times to get it right.

Thats a LOT of experience points right there. I sure wish i Had somebody paying me hourly of all the hard-learned lessons I’ve gotten.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Sounds like what you bought included factory harness with the PATS disabled. I am making a second guess that your guy wants to order the control pack from Ford Racing, kind of plug and play, the route I am taking. However, the harness you have can be used and gets used quite frequently. Just needs some education.

·
Registered
51 Posts
mustangs to fear has all of the parts required, I believe. I have no experience with this but just ran across it, FYI.

good luck

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you use the factory harness and computer, it will not run unless you bypass the anti theft features. I have heard you can flash it but not sure if that is true. The control pack is by far the easiest method. Just be sure you buy the right one. Gen III with either A/T or M/T. Gen 2 wont work on gen 3.

Random info
I have my gen 3 coyote priced. Engine- either built part by part or crate(6-9k) t56 new 6k, MII front end and 4 link rear from hiedts 5k, 8.8 built 500, disc brakes (included) cost around 20k probably going to buy the coyote t56 crate combo for 15k. The amount of parts for this swap is stupid.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I guess that's why so many people look to buy a salvaged 5.0 coyote Mustang, where you get most of what you need for the swap..

If you use the factory harness and computer, it will not run unless you bypass the anti theft features. I have heard you can flash it but not sure if that is true. The control pack is by far the easiest method. Just be sure you buy the right one. Gen III with either A/T or M/T. Gen 2 wont work on gen 3.

Random info
I have my gen 3 coyote priced. Engine- either built part by part or crate(6-9k) t56 new 6k, MII front end and 4 link rear from hiedts 5k, 8.8 built 500, disc brakes (included) cost around 20k probably going to buy the coyote t56 crate combo for 15k. The amount of parts for this swap is stupid.

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
But even with a salvaged Coyote, you still have the anti-theft to disable, would be my guess?

I haven't looked at your other threads, but does the motor physically fit in there yet??

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If it was me I would find a way to leave the PATS system in and use a chipped key.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It barely fits in the 66, its a tight fit. Shock tower delete is a must. The 67 68 fit is much better.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I am going with the Ford Racing controls pack and American Autowire harness. I also have Dakota digital instrumentation. So the plan is to integrate them all together.

Not at the wiring stage yet, so can't tell you how it went.

Another thought, contact Art Cuesta at wirediet.com. I put a 4.6L DOHC engine into a Factory Five Cobra replica years ago. Art dieted out my harness to just what was needed for the Cobra. I see on his website that he is addressing Coyote swaps, just no info online. It would be worth a phone call or email with the details of what you are doing as he may be able to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts