Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks,
been searching a lot of the postings concerning wire harnesses. Most discussions are a few years old but here it looks like AAW will be the selection. So, here are the parameters and let's see if anyone has any input.

Ruled out having the old one refurbed, it is OLD, it is gone, and not enough circuits. Can you say shorts and fire?

Seems like most people think Painless is far from it.

I will probably be going with CCA Air system. Anyone know of any issues between the two?

I would like a little flexibility about fuse box placement. I understand that there is very little with this kit but I can work with it.

I want plenty of circuits (power door locks, power windows etc.)

Pre installed connectors nice but not a deal breaker. I have designed and built test equipment so I am not too intimidated by the project.

Anything I am missing but should be concerned with?

Probably still a few months from needing but making my list.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I put an AAW classic update kit in my early 65 about 5 years ago and I highly recommend it. The wires are clearly labeled and plenty long enough, and the instructions are clear enough for a bonehead like me to complete. I also installed a classic auto air kit at the same time and they work together flawlessly. I'd have to look at my wiring diagram to be sure, but I believe there are provisions for power locks and I'm sure there is a circuit for power windows. I mounted the fuse box above and just to the right of the accelerator pedal on the firewall which makes changing fuses a breeze.

All in all, it sounds like you have a good plan and if you go with the AAW kit I'd recommend getting the crimping pliers from AAW as well. They are pricey but they work great and I've found many other uses for them even after getting everything installed.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I installed an AAW classic update kit last summer. It was easy, I soldered and shrink wrapped all my connections. I had no experiance doing any wiring on a car, just read and followed the instructions.

Their customer service was also very helpful and quick to respond to question. I bypassed the NSS and had a few other questions most answered in a day.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've used the AAW kit several times now, twice with the Vintage Air A/C system- no issues or problems at all. Very easy to use, marked nicely, I'd recommend it. I placed the fues block on a custom mount in the same space the left vent used to be- pics and info in this thread
https://forums.vintage-mustang.com/build-forum/1006514-66-coupe-fastback-conversion-progress.html
I noticed on that build that you used one of the universal kits. Just curious about why using this instead of Mustang specific? Price, flexibility, ordered wrong part #.....?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'll likely end up with a universal harness personally. Haven't decided between AAW or Speedway. I've used a Speedway previously and have no complaints. Am I the only one who doesn't understand why none of these aftermarket harnesses use relays? I plan to run a Bussman relay box in conjunction with whatever harness I get.

·
Registered
32 Posts
AAW claims to be the most complete kit, i agree. The classic update 2nd design has moved the fuse box for use of a factory A/C system and isnt so big. Thats the one Im going to use in my 65. Allows for power windows/locks, MSD, 1 wire alts, electric fan relay trigger. Tons of good stuff for restomodders. Its less money too. I just spoke with one of their reps this week, I like their attitude and desire to give us good quality wiring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts