Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing the ratty wiring in my '65. After seeing various posts regarding the quality of replacement parts, what vendors have the best wiring harnesses? Or, are they all being supplied by the same place? More importantly, any to avoid?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I've done two total wiring replacements on '66 Mustangs just recently. In both cases I used wiring harnesses from Mustangs Unlimited. It's really not that big of a job.

The under hood section is very simple as is the rear section. The underdash harness is the most difficult as you might expect. What you need to be aware of is, the underdash harness does not include every bit of wiring. The wiper motor wiring is not included and on one of my cars there was a small section of wiring that had to be taken from the old harness and added to the new one before it would work. So I'd suggest you remove the old harness intact and NOT cut it anywhere in order to speed its removal. If you unscrew the instrument panel and unplug everything, it will pull right out through the instrument panels location.

I'd also suggest you get a Electrical Assembly Manual. The one I have is by Jim Osborn Reproductions Inc. 770 962-7556. This will aid you greatly. The other thing that helps is to use masking tape and label the wires as you remove them from their locations and take notes on blue line notebook paper.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Wiring is wiring. If you take the harness out and repair the damage done over the years, it can be every bit as good as a new harness. Be sure you can't fix yours before plopping down $450 for a new one. The only one I'd replace is one thats seen a under dash fire. All the rest are repairable.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your suggestions. I would prefer to repair the worn sections instead of spending the $$$'s on new harnesses. The biggest difficulty I see while taking the repair route is splicing into the bulkhead and other specialty connectors. Minimizing splices will certainly reduce future problems (with the wiring anyways ;-) ) The rest is straight forward wiring.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
All the rest are repairable

*LOL*. You apparently didn't see the one that was in my '66 coupe when I bought it. It might as well have been a fire. None of the ends were right, half the colors were wrong and even changed colors a couple times by th time they got through all the splices. In my case, the $450 was well worth the investment. Normally, I agree, though. My '65, and both '69's were screwed up, but very repairable.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The wiper motor wiring is not included and on one of my cars there was a small section of wiring that had to be taken from the old harness and added to the new one before it would work.

The wiper motor wiring is not part of the main harness, so makes sense that it wouldn't be included with the main harnes. What part did you have to use from your old harness? The main harness that I put into my '66 coupe had everything. It even had one white wire that I've never figured out what it's for and could never find in any wiring diagram *LOL*. I used nothing from my old harness ... the new one was just a plug and play operation.

Edited: the wiper motor wiring is not part of the main harness on a '65/'66 ... it is on a '69 (don't know about other years) ... just thought I should clarify.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You know I just forget exactly what it was. Seems like it was in the turn signal section, but I'd have to go take a look to be sure. It was not on the Coupe, but the signals on the fastback did not work until it was connected in. Could be that I made a mistake somewhere. I'll have to give it a look the next time my head is stuck in there.

I ran so many troubles on the Coupe's harness before I gave up and replaced it, I've gotten to know each and every wire and each and every connector. Knowledge that I will probably never need again... I hope.

And as for the wiper motor section, I guess I can agree it's not a direct part of the main harness, still it seems if you buy an underdash harness for some $450 bucks you would get all the wires under the dash. That and fog lights are all you don't get, and the fog light section is not there for obvious reasons. I've not even seen where the wiper switch section is sold separately. Have you?

Thanks,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
No, not sure the wiper motor harness is made in reproduction. I'm with you, though, in that it does seem for the price, they could throw in the extra $1 of wiring for the wipers *LOL*.

My harness was for a '66 coupe, and I still haven't gotten around to hooking up 4 way flashers, so either of those could explain your need for the "cut and paste" on the FB, that I didn't have to do on the coupe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts