Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a C4 to T5 swap on my '66 Mustang(V8).Can I wire the neutral safety switch wires(which I cut when I removed the C4)to the neutral safety switch on the T5z so that the car would only start in neutral? Is this possible to do--Thanx-Tom

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
If anything you'd have to wire it to the clutch pedal so it would send the proper signal when the pedal is pressed. I'm not sure how it's hooked up on my 97, but AFAIK there's nothing on the actual transmission that will tell you that it's in neutral.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
AFAIK, all you can do with a manual trans is hook it to a switch on the clutch pedal as stated above. There it no provision on a man. trans. for a neutral switch. Newer cars and trucks have a switch similar to a brake light switch on the rod at the top of the pedal. I hope this helps.

Joe

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If I remember correctly...the switch provides a closed switch when the tranny is in neutral. Any other position is used to prevent a signal to the starter solenoid. Works just the same as a C-4 switch.
Bruce

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Wow, so much misinfo here... :paranoid:

The T5 DOES have a neutral switch on top of the case, and it works just fine as a starter lockout switch. Very easy to do as well. Just hook the two NSS wires to the switch on the top of the case - polarity doesn't matter. Hooking up the two wires is MUCH, MUCH easier than trying to jerry-rig a switch on the clutch pedal. Mine worked just fine hooked up this way.

The backup light switch is on the side of the case.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My T5 is wired so the starter only works with the transmission in Neutral. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I think if you stall the car in traffic it is a PITA to remember to put the car in neutral so you can restart it. I would prefer a switch on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Also a PITA for the bad guys to know your car has to be in neutral to steal it... Two sides to every coin. :biggrin:

I never had an issue with the neutral switch on the trans. Even had people tell me you couldn't push start a car so wired. Absolutely not true...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts