Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have to love the things PO’s do.

Two different color wires.... note 2 connectors.... I guess it was an inch short.....
Really dude!!!!
You couldn’t remake a 6” wire, lmao!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope those connections are solid if that’s the case....lmao!!!

This is the kind of stuff that drives me absolutely bonkers.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
LOL they look like they were crimped with needle nose pliers as well. At least he used a variety of size connectors as well.

·
Administrator
19,642 Posts
Hands down the most amazingly stupid thing I've seen on the internet all day.

I REALLY hope I didn't do anything quite that stupid as a teen but I suspect I did.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
not only did he use two connectors two different color wires, and three pieces of wire, it also looks like he used three different gauge wires as well. perhaps he was making a poor mans fusible link?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Still not as bad as the speaker wire I found running the taillights in my C10.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
my grandfather was a child of the depression era, so he didn't throw out or "waste" anything. Some of his house was wired like that, random lengths wire-nutted together under the house or in the basement!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m spending a ton of time soldering ends and heat shrinking custom wires.
But I like that stuff.
I wish I had a source for production quality wires with ends already done right.

Meaning being able to order a 8awg wire with female female connectors.
Or female to bullet, or oval to oval etc in different wire size, color, etc.

Or jumper wires with oval oval stud or screw.

Maybe this is a good business model!! Lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
It make perfect sense. One side is ground and the other is hot!

And in the middle is smoke where it's warm! :smile2:

I feel your pain, O.P.
I didn't want to, but I had to buy a new under dash harness because mine was in such poor shape.
The 70's with CB radios and 8-Tracks, really took its toll. I think they used a chainsaw to cut the wires.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And in the middle is smoke where it's warm! :smile2:

I feel your pain, O.P.
I didn't want to, but I had to buy a new under dash harness because mine was in such poor shape.
The 70's with CB radios and 8-Tracks, really took its toll. I think they used a chainsaw to cut the wires.

I have 100% aftermarket gauges, with some 3 extra gauges (8 total) so it gets even crazier...... I have a bunch of extra wires.
I’m basically just wiring them all new, as they are all the new digital versions it’s their own sender units.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
my grandfather was a child of the depression era, so he didn't throw out or "waste" anything. Some of his house was wired like that, random lengths wire-nutted together under the house or in the basement!
lol my Dad is not depression era and so many times he's used crimp on butt connectors in his house. Time and again I've tried to explain to him why this is a bad idea, he just scoffs. Once he called me complaining that his air compressor would just hum. I walked him through checking the power (was an ordeal all in itself) when we determined that he'd lost a leg on the power I told him. "Check your butt connectors and get back to me." When he didn't call me back I knew that's what it was.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
What are those little red and yellow things in the middle of the wire? I thought you just had to twist the wires together and tape them up, right.......lol!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
What are those little red and yellow things in the middle of the wire? I thought you just had to twist the wires together and tape them up, right.......lol!

You say that like maybe that's not the right way to do it? :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts