Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i hook up my indecator light wire to the altornater regalator i get power in the place were it grounds to the frame the same in the insturment panel it send power everywere that should be grounded but the thing is my car started the other day but the next morning i get all these problems win it work the first the wire was still hook up. i don;t get lights nothing it;s only win key is turn on and in start and acc. new sionold, volt reg, new bat. i have check the front wiring harnes,the middle and back. i have a good ground from the bat.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Did you mean that when you connected the idiot light wire, everything started going down hill? If so, the idiot light wire is likely shorted which is why someone removed it from the regulator in the beginning.

First thing you'll have to fix is the short in the wire leading to the idiot light. Chances are someone drilled a screw through the harness and shorted it out (installing an aftermarket radio for example) or it is chafing a metal part in the dash or who knows what. You'll have to find out where the short is and then fix it before hooking the loose end back up to the regulator. Troubleshooting this takes some electrical knowledge so find an electrician or electronics technician to give you an assist.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for your help but i did not check my ground from my battery and win i dorp my trans i lost the engine ground and thats why i could'nt get my idiot to work or starter but i fix the ground every thing works now. THANK YOU.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts