Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years, there have been many splices and rerouted wires. How difficult would it be to make the wiring harnesses. I would buy but it looks like the three main harnesses would cost 700/800 dollars and thats just too much money. The wires are fairly brittle and where 8 wires come out of a plug, only three make it anywhere. THe car did run before restoration but I did not try lights etc so I really don't know what worked and what didn't. Some wires are cut of at the disconnect plug and are wired direct through some other routing.....I know what Im doing over the 4th holiday!!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I would buy but it looks like the three main harnesses would cost 700/800 dollars and thats just too much money

Wow! really? I'd have never thought someone could be so proud of some wires...

You'd be better off buying a rustbucket with a good harness as a parts car.

Here's a wiring page from Larry's T-bird, where I've purchased a lot in the past. How does that compare? If you have a business, they used to give a discount (it's been awhile...)

Given the work you're doing to your car, personally I think you'd be better off buying a ready-made loom....and I speak from the experience of making a much simpler one for the race car

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dallas mustang catalogue...underdash wiring harness..428.99, the firewall to headlamp harness...109.99 does not include tack, and I stopped there!!

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Replacing all the underhood harnesses are worth the money, as the wires are exposed to the elements and heat over many years. If the underdash is still workable, I wouldn't touch it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If the underdash is still workable, I wouldn't touch it.

Good point Randy...I assumed he meant all the harnesses were toast. Perhaps a visual inspection and resistance test of all the connections? And to think I wadded up the stock harness out of the race car and tossed it into a box in the shop...back in 1980..

madly digging through box

hehehe

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'll refer you to a earlier e-mail I wrote:

Just want to say thanks to Ken Rubin from "Metal Alloy Products" for the great products he sells (wiring harnesses) for early mustangs (All types). I believe he only sell his line through NPD and Mustangs Unlimited. Not only does he sell a great product but he also backs it up. I ran into some problems do to my 66 GT being made very early in the assembly year. I got Ken’s number from NPD and he worked me through the problems until everything worked properly. Some of these problems were caused by me and he still hung around until the bugs were worked out. Thanks Ken!!!

If your looking for wiring harness I can give you his personal e-mail. He might sell them directly to you at a lower price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts