Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tracing a short somewhere in the wire that feeds the dash and other functions including AC and electric fans on my 66 restomod that's far from stock.. I didn't wire the car so I've got a question: Will removing the dash pad give me better access? I understand that removing it is somewhat tedious. I've taken out the front seats and glove box and am going to pop off the steering wheel for easier access. The car does not have audio as the sound of the engine is all the music I need. Is it worth the trouble to take off the dash pad or have I gone far enough? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Don't think so, there's metal under the padding and that would block you view of the wiring.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
954 Posts
I agree with BW66. Having just done some serious wiring repair etc. on my 66, removing the cluster will give you access to a lot of the wiring while the dash pad wouldn't.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Glad I don't have to pull the pad because it's in great shape.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Watch this tool for finding shorts. That means a "positive" wire that is touching a ground or another wire. Not a break in a wire or a bad connection. I could not find a good video on this. I found one showing the tool you can and another that shows it working. You install a special tool or circuit breaker in place of the fuse that is blowing. That way it turns on and off a current in the circuit without blowing a bunch of fuses. When current is flowing the magnetic field moves the needle on the ammeter. You just slide meter along the outside of the harness and as long as the meter keeps moving you have not reached the spot where the short is. Where the short is the amperage cannot flow in the wire past that spot because it is shorting to ground. When the needle stops moving you have gone past the short. In between where the needle swings and wear it stops is where the short is inside the loom. This is the hot ticket for locating shorts fast and without damaging your harness looking for it.

Short finder tool

Using the meter. Skip to the 10 minute 30 second spot.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Vintage Ford Guy is right on the money with finding shorts with a meter. I have had great success by replacing the fuse that keeps blowing with a simple 21W bulb in a socket & 2 wires connected to where the fuse fits. When the bulb lights with full brightness the short is there. Follow the cable harness, shaking & wiggling the harness as you go along. When the bulb goes out you have found your short.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts