Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, in the haynes book, I have a good wiring diagram. Suppose you are facing the engine from the passenger side fender. The silinoid is right below you. The battery is on your far right, and the hot cable from the battery is going into the right big post of the silinoid. Now come the little posts. In the book it shows the Red and blue striped wire on the right little post. And then it has the brown wire on the left little post. HOWEVER.... on my car, the brown wire is on the right little post, and the red with blue stripe is on the left....... The car ran like this before, but suddenly stopped running.. Did the PO wire this thing up ass backwards, or what?

G

·
Ok, the wire going to the small post closest to the battery should be connected to the starter position on the back of the ignition switch. It should have 12volts when the key is moved to the start position and the other wire (post towards the firewall) should have 6-7volts when the key is in the on position. THis wire will be connected to the switch also via the pink resistor wire and should test for continuity with the coil or ignition terminal of the switch. If you have the battery in and the starter disconnected, you can check volts or simply continuity. Hope this helps.....I just went through all of this getting my engine bay all rewired correctly.

Sanford

G

·
No, the rearmost "little" terminal gets a full 12V from the solenoid contacts inside and "sends" it straight to the coil via a splice in the wiring harness, it circumvents the resistor wire that the coil runs on in the "ON" position.

G

·
Ok, straighten me out, I don't want to put out bad info. is there a difference from my 65 then on his 68 because I pulled the diagrams and the foreward wire red/blue goes to the front and engergises the soliniod in the start position with 12volts where as the brown wire is off of the resistor wire. This is the way it is on the 65 and 66 diagrams and this is how my car is wired and it functions and tests as it should.

I reread your post....the rear post should have 6-7volts with the switch in the on position, in the start position it will have 12volts, where as the front terminal will have no volts in the on position and 12 in the start position.

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
Forget "front" and "back". If the selonoid is on upside down, front IS back, and back IS front, if you know what I mean. Both posts are labeled on the selonoid as "S" and "I". Use THAT as you indicator of which post is which.

If you're wiring harness is original (BOTH under the hood and under the dash), the brown wire goes to the "I" post, the red/blue wire goes to the "S" post.

You can figure out if your wiring is correctly real quick with a volt meter. With key off, both wires should have 0 volts (between them and a known good ground). With the key in the "ON" position, whichever wire has voltage on it (should be the brown wire and should be ~7v if everything's original) goes to the "I" post. The other wire goes to the "S" post (should be red/green).

If a PO switched the wires under the dash it won't matter if you simply hook them to the right post based on the above voltage tests.

G

·
Let see...hmmmm where did I learn that from......oh yea it was from all the advise from Midlife!! See some of us listen and learn from it! Thanks

Sanford

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.