Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I recently replaced the spark plugs distributor cap, rotor and wiring. I did a nice neat job cleaning up the wiring to be straight and parallel. Then I had a backfire through the carborator.

I checked the timing and several other things as recommended in an earlier post. I am confident that the distributor cap is going to the proper plugs, however, a friend suggested that the wires should be crossed up. It might be a misfire due to induction in the parallel lines. He told me Ford recommends crossing them up. Does this make sense?

Does anybody know the proper way to route the wires? Can I just cross them randomly or is there a pattern?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For the record I have a 67 convertible with a 289. 2 Barrel Carb, single exhaust. It is automatic. Engine burns a lot of oil, but not ready to rebuild it yet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Joe....I have wired a lot of Mustangs 65-70..never worried about induction cross firing. I use a good quality wire 7-8mm, use wire seperators and keep it clean. If it is firing
out the carb, yes, something is out of time or a intake valve is sticking open. Have you done a compression test or leak down check? Make sure the cap is install correcly, Have someone else check the Spark plug wiring. Good Luck !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts