Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Wishy-Washy Purchase Dilemma

520 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  robbie 
#1 ·
One of my goals is to set a goal and stick with it. Some of that is borne of necessity at work. However, with a few sheckles in hand, the mind starts to race with visions of all kinds of parts dancing in ones head./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I have two diverse objectives with enough money to spend for one or the other, but not both:

1. Buy the weatherstripping and door parts and do a partial resto towards the "rough in" interior project, ie., get the firewall insulation, headliner, and heater box rebuilt and installed. Then I can install the wiper assy. Then concentrate on the door and quarter window mechanicals, which would include the jamb painting of the doors, trunk and hood. (jamb painting will be done regardless.) This would entail about $450 worth of weatherstripping and parts. I would still need another $100 to complete this phase but SWMBO cut me off.

OR

2. Buy the front end suspension components and steering parts and get the stang on all fours, thereby eliminating the "mustang trailer". I would still have a few dollars to buy the hinge kits and re-hang the doors once they are jamb painted. If I do this, I could concievably drop the engine in it with the tranny attached. But the engine idea is a pipe dream right now, hehe. There are too many more dollars above and beyond to get the car engine ready. It would have a brand new front end though, and that is kind of enticing.

Decisions, Decisions. Either way, it is progress on the project.

See less See more
#2 ·
Weatherstripping should not be done until the car is painted. Its easy enough to mask the areas to protect the paint while weatherstripping is in progress and it looks a lot better if there's no hidden edges that don't get done if you do it the other way around. I'd do the suspension first, get a rolling chassis. Then prime and sand the car and paint the black areas, underneath, suspension parts (while they're off the car), etc. Once the car is painted underneath and in the engine compartment, start working on restoring the engine and driveline. Next in line comes electrical, door mechanisms (put them in, get them working then take them out in preparation for paint, do paint and weatherstripping next, put door guts back in, do sound suppression stuff, carpeting, interior, exterior trim, valances, bumpers, etc.

#3 ·
OH yeah as much as I love that mustang trailer I'd get it on all 4's as this will really get you pumped up to finish it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.