Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just seems odd to me for there to be all these Boss 302 Clones out there, and nobody really popularizing Cleveland heads on 347’s.

The motors (when built right) make great power, comparable to the best aftermarket aluminum headed Windsor contemporaries.

If I was in the market for a clone, that’s what I’d want. I’d want the experience to feel, look and sound like the rare unobtainable dream of the real deal.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Or for something a bit different, I am building a 70 Boss 2 tribute, however mine is Coyote powered. If you can make it fit, another way to have a light, high HP, high reving 302 under the hood.

·
Dimples
4,356 Posts
PRolly have to wait 10 to 20 more years for the guys who want to build or own "period correct" resto mods. Right now its all about weight and power...
I can’t see myself going the period correct route, but there’s certainly plenty of that in the traditional hot rod and kustom crowd and it’s my preferred style of modified 20’s-50’s car.

It’s an interesting thought that future generations might revive things like spring shackles and shag carpet in 60’s-70’s muscle.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Awhtx, do you have the same B & A Ford performance 'Street Boss' manifold from Gary Roughly like I do ? The shop I worked for did a few ( less than half dozen ), and I bought a manifold and set of pistons. I think there would be more if Gary had been able to get better market exposure. Too Many Ford guys didn't know about him. Then cheap stroker kits came out for 331s, and then 347s, and his market dried up. I think Gary's son or S-I-L is still making intakes, don't know which ones. Don't know what I'll do with the pistons, but am saving the intake for a 331 0r 347 build using Australian heads. I think it will be fun. Awhtx, what headers do you have for that ? I'm thinking if they fit your 65, thhey'll fit my 69 easily ! It would give me something to build after the 302 I recently built is installed. LSG

·
Registered
10,002 Posts
Here in the 21st century, I think the following issues apply:

- It's getting harder to find good Cleveland heads. Although, they are around

- It's getting harder to find a Street Boss or similar intake manifold to bolt onto the Windsor block and Cleveland heads. Shoot, I haven't seen one since the 1980s, but I assume they're still around

- Once you find a good set of Cleveland heads, you must machine them for screw-in, adjustable rockers. By the time you do this and pay for new valves and springs, you're getting into aluminum heads price territory

- Sure, Cleveland heads are the fire breathing dragons of iron heads. But the latest aluminum heads are pretty amazing. And Edelbrock makes Cleveland style aluminum heads that will readily bolt onto a Windsor block. Easy peasy lemon squeezie.

- The main reason people used to build a Clevor was because Ford simply didn't make great iron heads for a Windsor. Now, there are plenty of good aftermarket head options. Most people don't find it worth the time, money and effort to build a Clevor

- Ford put Cleveland 4V heads on a 302 because Trans Am rules limited displacement at 5 liters. For hot rodders, the advantage of a running a Windsor block over a Cleveland block is the oiling system. After much trial, error and mythology, people figured out installing lifter bore bushings solves the oiling issue. Although building a Cleveland is a little more involved and expensive than building a Windsor, it's cheaper and easier than building a Clevor

But I have to admit, building a Clevor is friggin' cool to the tenth power!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Klutch, I think lack of knowledge is the biggest problem. Don't think I'm picking on you, I don't mean it that way, but, umm, NO. 351M - 400 heads are everywhere and plentiful. Sometimes you can get them for nothing. The B & A intakes pop up on E-bay, and Edelbrock makes their own version now, but they don't have the period correct look that the B & A does. And no, you don't HAVE to machine for screw ins, if you measure, you can use the same sled fulcrum bolt downs that the 351m heads come with. Just need the right pushrods. Add some Boss type valce covers and you have a really cool look the Windsor head guys just can't match. If you have to buy a new intake anyway, the cost difference is just acouple hundred. How about aluminum aftermarket C heads on a 302 with a nice intake ? updated aluminum head power AND classic looks. You could paint the heads blue, and tell folks you pulled them off a 78 pickup,.....and show everyone nothing but tailights ! LSG

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Hardtop
1,712 Posts
I can’t see myself going the period correct route, but there’s certainly plenty of that in the traditional hot rod and kustom crowd and it’s my preferred style of modified 20’s-50’s car.

It’s an interesting thought that future generations might revive things like spring shackles and shag carpet in 60’s-70’s muscle.
I don't you worry. Us youngins think shackles and slapper bars are so lame they're cool.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Nostalgia are the only reason reason for building a new performance engine starting with 50 year old worn vintage heads. The aftermarket offers unbeatable performance right out of the box, brand new and the heads may be the most important part in a engine when looking for power.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Awhtx, do you have the same B & A Ford performance 'Street Boss' manifold from Gary Roughly like I do ? The shop I worked for did a few ( less than half dozen ), and I bought a manifold and set of pistons. I think there would be more if Gary had been able to get better market exposure. Too Many Ford guys didn't know about him. Then cheap stroker kits came out for 331s, and then 347s, and his market dried up. I think Gary's son or S-I-L is still making intakes, don't know which ones. Don't know what I'll do with the pistons, but am saving the intake for a 331 0r 347 build using Australian heads. I think it will be fun. Awhtx, what headers do you have for that ? I'm thinking if they fit your 65, thhey'll fit my 69 easily ! It would give me something to build after the 302 I recently built is installed. LSG
Yep, that's a B&A Street Boss intake. It looks to me like it's basically an F4B with Cleveland style ports.
B&A was listed as Ft Smith, AR but they were actually on the other side of the Arkansas River in OK. When I was flying for American Eagle I spent many nights in FSM and we stayed at a Holiday Inn in downtown. I actually walked across the bridge and went to the B&A shop one day back when they were still in business in the mid-1990's. I'm pretty sure it was Gary Roughy that I talked to there. I had already bought the used intake from a guy in Dallas.

Those are FPA headers. They are neither cheap headers nor are they inexpensive headers. About $1K now, coated.

I have a Bridgeport style mill so I did all of the rocker pedestal work myself. I'm using a solid roller cam.

When I turn it into a 333 (4.040" x 3.25") I will go with some aluminum Cleveland heads. TFS, AFD and CHI all have aluminum heads with 2V sized intake ports. None of them are made in China so they won't be cheap. I talked to Randy Gillis about heads and he said the Edelbrocks are no better than the Aussie heads. He recommended the TFS heads for a street engine.

Edelbrock makes a Clevor intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
As a Cleveland guy, I would say it’s not worth the trouble. TFS 11r heads are hard to beat for the $$$.
TMeyer is now making the track boss intakes. A 347 with the CHI 185cc heads would be the way to go for best performance.

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
A Windsor based small block ford can't match a 351c based motor in the looks department. When I was looking for my 64 I came across 1 needing an engine, my first thought building a boss 302 for it. The car I ended up finding has an aluminum head 289 and performs well but man is it disappointing to look under the hood.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Never was too impressed with the Clevor deal. We used to import crap-loads of Australian heads from our contact there though. Bittle had a high dollar Clevor in his wife’s ‘66 GT-350, which I drove once or twice. Maybe it’s a cubic inch deal with Clevor because the little 289 wasn’t too impressive......

Reactions: ElConductor
1 - 20 of 30 Posts