Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have a free weekend and made an appointment with a local tint place to get the rear window (and maybe the driver/passenger too) tinted on DT. My new carpet on the fold down that I put in just a few months has, while not noticably faded to an untrained eye, discolored enough for me to see it.

I photoshopped my sig pic months ago to remind me EVERYDAY that this was something I needed to get done, and now finally it looks like I will. Estimate is for $225 (that includes the sides if I do them) and the rear window will be done in one peice. :)

So I am excited.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Hey Nick,

Don't forget to glue that carpet down !! ::

·
Registered
579 Posts
$225 sounds pretty steep to me. I just got the windows done on my GT for $140 plus tax. This was the sides, the quarter windows and the back window. The shop came recommended and was very professional. I would shop around a little and see if you can get a better price.

·
Registered
379 Posts
hope it turns out good. and make sure its not illegal. im no fan of tint, not by a long shot, but go for it anyway ::

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
It would be very interesting to watch the installation of the rear window tint. It is rather large and has curves both left and right as well as top to bottom. It wil take a very skilled installer to manipulate a flat sheet of tint to fit that contour without cutting it.

Not trying to create a problem, but just calling attention to a potential problem. I hope they are able to deiliver what they promised. Jeff

·
Registered
334 Posts
It wil take a very skilled installer to manipulate a flat sheet of tint to fit that contour without cutting it.
Hmm, that being the case, i wonder if it would be better to do the rear window if its out of the car? I need to have mine done and i'll have the window out at some point to redo the headliner anyway .. then again, would it make reinstalling the window a pain (okay even more of a pain ;) )?

James

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used to own a window tint company for about 15 years, 1 man operation. The back window should be no problem at all to do in 1 piece. The film will shrink with heat gun applied. Film is layed on outside of window and heat is used to shrink out the fingers, cut to fit, then installed on inside. I used to do camaro and corvette back windows in 1 piece(a lot more of a compound curve). Better to do while window is installed to get better edges.

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
When I bought a new Camry in '02, went to the tinter to have all windows dark tinted (except w/shield. Re the back window, they placed it on the outside of the rear window, heated it with a heat gun to contour it to curve. Took it inside and placed it in. He made it look like a walk in the park. All in knowing your job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts