Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local guy has a complete 9" axle assembly with 3:25 Traction loc and wants me to make him an offer. I don't usually buy these things but am still wanting to know what it might be worth. It is the correct tappered ends with the drain plug that is documented out of a 67 big block car.

·
Registered
698 Posts
IIRC the 65'/66' got the tapered ends. 67' did not. Hope someone else can confirm this.
The center section usually runs about 450. Dunno about the whole axel.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thinking about it further, if the 65'/66' only got the tapered ends, the only drive train I can think of that came in those years with a 9" has a "K" in it. Might want to jump on it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The 67 9" housings were NOT tapered, not even the HIPO 289s. It also won't have a traction lok. In 67 Ford was using the Equa-lok. Now, to answer your WIW question, If it's all correct and in good condition I would say $450-500 tops. The pumpkin (3.25 Equa-lok) would be worth $200-250. The 67 Mustang 9" housing (bare), $150. The remaining parts (axles and brakes), maybe $100.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It has a large hex nut fill plug on the back and looked tappered to me. I'll get the oart numbers and date codes off of it to check it out.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
A 67 housing should have the hex nut fill plug on the back side and should not be tapered. So far everything sounds like it is a 67 "S" code rearend.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Could it have come from a very early '67 car? My '67 was built in Non,'66 and it has a faily odd 8" diffenential. The 3rd member has the extra cros-ribbed casting, but the fill plug is still in the rear of the housing. I have heard it said many times that ALL 67 & later housings had the fill pug cast into the 8" 3rd mebers. BTW it also has the larger (non-tapered) tubes common to the '67 cars.

I would measure the flange width to see which car it should fit.

·
Registered
6,091 Posts
As said no "traction-loc" in 67, was "equa-loc". A traction-loc started in '69. The casting was a little thicker is my understanding from the guy who rebuild mine. Perhaps just a term used loosely.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
dustyrelics said:
It has a large hex nut fill plug on the back and looked tappered to me. I'll get the oart numbers and date codes off of it to check it out.
That sounds like a '66 K-code 9" housing. Those housings run $300+. I paid $300 for mine several years ago.

I'd check the end-to-end measurements on it. Date codes may not mean much if the chunk was swapped.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Well, now you guys have me wondering about my newly purchased 9 inch rear end from a 71 mach 1. In the first picture, you can clearly see that the axle is tapered, although much further inboard than the 65-66 style taper. So did Ford go back to tapering the axles after 1967, and if so, when?
http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/505/medium/PC060983.JPG

Here is another picture of the other end of the rear end.
http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/505/medium/PC060976.JPG

and here is the bolt area of the differential, definitely a nine incher.
http://www.mustangphotos.com/photopost/data/505/medium/PC060986.JPG

BTW, I helped the PO remove it from the car, so it was definitely on a Mustang, but I am not familiar with the 71 body style, and it was missing the doors and all the front sheet metal. If someone told me the car was a 70, I would have believed them...the rear end just didn't look like that big body 71-73. The car also had a fold down rear seat? Was that option available in 1971?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Looks correct to me.They did taper down,just not as much as the 65-66 housings.If the housing has the rear ,big hex plug,it will be from a 67.As for price ,like they said,$400-$450,tops.
Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts